1. MachineGryphon

MachineGryphon Member

Hey, new around here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MachineGryphon, Dec 27, 2016.

Hey, the name's Andrew, I'm 26 and from England. I've been writing on and off since I was around 11 years old, finished a couple of diabolical books as a kid but looking to develop something a bit more mature now I have a bit more worldly experience. I have written a few things in recent years that I'm tentatively proud of, and am very slowly working on something which I hope will approach a novel at the moment.

I'm mostly here looking to chat about writing techniques, gain some inspiration, give and receive feedback on work, meet people with similar interests and hopefully make some friends. Looking forward to getting to know everyone here. :)

2. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Evening! Welcome to our very weird world, I hope you don't get lost.

What genres do you like to write in?

A man called Valance likes this.
  3. MachineGryphon

MachineGryphon Member

Thank you very much. My sense of direction isn't fantastic so unfortunately I may lose my way. :dead:

I tend to write mostly thriller style, usually with a twist towards the end. The story I'm currently trying to develop is in that genre I'd say, with a protagonist I'm trying to make likeable despite a questionable profession. Most of my stories end up getting quite dark. I also love to read and write sci-fi, and writing something akin to the first Alien would be incredible for me, but my attempts at actually writing in that genre have been laughably bad. I am looking to read more into my genres as well to gain experience with the style.

4. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

I've never really read any thrillers as when I watch them they often stress me, I'm shouting at the telly 'you've got the wrong bloke!' the whole time.
    Sci-fi, on the other hand, I quite enjoy with some of my favourite books being the strange fantasy/sci-fi middle ground of Anne McCaffery and far too many other books involving paradoxes to name.

5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Not terribly into thrillers, but dark and twisty are very much my style; I look forward to seeing some of your stuff. Welcome aboard.

6. MachineGryphon

MachineGryphon Member

My problem is that I love to read sci-fi, and this doesn't help me with anything I'm trying to develop set in modern day. Unless I somehow incorporate aliens just to make things interesting...
    If I read the rules right, I have to critique some work before I can post my own. I have a blog in which I've posted a few things over the years, but I can hold off on showing that until I'm a little better acquainted with the place.

7. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Hullo-hullo!

It's nice congenial to have more people here who aren't writing other-world fantasy. I myself write suspense, horror, and so on, all in real-world settings. My protags aren't as obviously flawed as is currently popular, but their negative issues come out at the most inconvenient moments, yes, they do.

Whatever your favorite genre, if you participate well you'll get a lot of good out of these forums.

Welcome aboard.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  8. MachineGryphon

MachineGryphon Member

The extent of my fantasy knowledge is about 500 hours in Skyrim :eek:, otherwise I'm much more partial to sci-fi, though I know many people myself who love the atmosphere and I get the attraction. I am looking for more real-world experience and feedback, as I'm not the most outgoing of people, and so writing something set in a city is going to be a challenge.
    Thank you for the welcome, I think I'm going to like it here.

Catrin Lewis likes this.