1. NarcissusShrugged

NarcissusShrugged New Member

slouching through uptown, Minneapolis, MN

This is a well written, attention grabbing headline. It should stand out in some way

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NarcissusShrugged, Oct 10, 2010.

Cheerful Greeting, smiley (optional):

This is an introductory paragraph, it helps set expectations for the piece, ideally while charming the reader somewhat. The author may also try to win over the audience here by displaying a sense of humor. But beware; the joke is oftentimes not nearly as clever as the author hopes it to be.

(pause)

In this, the 2nd paragraph, the author should briefly describe his fascinating background by sharing a few details about his life as an aspiring writer. He should elaborate with a slightly more detailed story, past or present; preferably one related to the joys and agony of writing. He may for instance, relate how he struggled stylistically with a particular piece, an introduction, maybe, that he found especially difficult to write. If possible, it should concern a situation the reader has likely had to deal with as well. This will hopefully help to make the audience sympathetic.

(This pause is a cheat. The author might decide to utilize it here if, for example, the 2nd paragraph is running long, turning into an intimidating and unreadable wall of text)

In this clause the author should continue his attempts to connect with the reader on an emotional level. It is desirable to gain the reader's support by the end of it. Some writers may try to win over the audience with cheap flattery or even bribery, this is a mistake. The audience - an eclectic, vibrant mix of brilliant, up-and-coming writers themselves - are far too savvy to fall for the flattery and far too honest to be bribed. However, if the paragraph is handled correctly, the reader may silently begin to root for the author; they may even begin to like him. This is by no means guaranteed.

(this pause is legitimate)

This bit, usually anchoring the 3rd or 4th paragraph, should concern itself mainly with the author's intentions. Here he describes what he hopes to get from the site, often something along the lines of wanting to improve his writing, which, considering the nature of the site, he most assuredly does. He may also ask for brutal honesty in future feedback, he may, in fact, actually mean it.

(pause)

Here the author assures the moderators that he has looked over a few threads and familiarized himself with the FAQ. This helps to assuage the mods, letting them know that the author is not here to troll or make trouble, which, as the moderators are surely now aware, he is not.

(pause)

All culminating with this, the closing paragraphs. In it the author sums up what was said earlier, reinforcing key points for the benefit of the audience -an eclectic, vibrant mix of brilliant, up-and-coming writers who do not want his money. (half pause)
    Whenever possible, the piece should end with a poignant, well thought out sentiment, one that reflects the author's ardent hope that he has found a friendly place filled with creative people. Which he surely has.

(pause)

sign off

“this is a sig file, it often contains a favorite pithy quote or saying, usually attributed, that causes the reader to smile. Sometimes it’s something that was written by the author himself” -- Tom

tl;dr: too-clever-by-half cheap gimmick

This is a Post Script:
    Hi everybody (smiley:) (not optional)

2. carbonbased

carbonbased New Member

This is the obligatory welcome that only serves to increase the post count.

I'm all for bribery, actually.

3. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

That was my haphazard intro from last August. I believed I covered most of your guideline points? Don't know if I would change it now. So I will just say. . .

Hi (smiley) (never optional in my case)

4. Lee Shelly

Lee Shelly New Member

Welcome, Tom. I'm honestly glad to see you here, I'm looking forward to seeing you on the forum. I feel like I learned a lot about you, and at the same time, nothing. What do you write? Why would you put a tl;dr in a piece that deserves a thorough reading?

5. NarcissusShrugged

ahhh, a man after my own larcenous heart. Good to meet you.

6. NarcissusShrugged

Thanks Tessie, you have a talent for brevity I fear I lack, :)
    Lee: I tend a bit toward the absurd, both serious and humorous. I would like to concentrate on fiction, but lately I have written a few essays on various topics, it seems to come easier.
    Since I'm here to challenge myself, I will at some point in the (hopefully very) near future produce a short story or two. or ten.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Tom, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

You don't get out of receiving the grand tour post. This is it. It is this.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

8. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

What an enlightening introduction.
    Welcome. :)

9. Tessie

Ha ha ha. Why thanks, Tom, but I would call it timidity not brevity. :) However, I'm much more relaxed now, since I've met so many good people here. This is actually the first forum I've joined.

Cheers (smiley)

10. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Ha ha, welcome. :p

11. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

Here is where I (the welcomer) write some form of humorous and/or witty response reguarding your introduction before saying, "Welcome to WF" But since I can't think of anything witty or humorous right now, I'll skip all that and just say, "Welcome to WF" :)

12. NarcissusShrugged

Cogito: Not at all, I've been looking forward to your visit, sir. Ergo sum quite glad to meet'ya.

Thanks, Eunoia, a pleasure I'm sure. Your screen name was a lovely thought ;)

Tessie -thanks Miz T for the friendship request. I hope my response went through ok. Definite noob at this site. Even though I've spent the better part of the last ten years working on computers and software, that doesn't mean I don't still fear and loathe them. :)

Cheers all!

edit: Helloo Naiyn, didn't see you over there on the second page. This is where I say: Please forgive my <strike>rude</strike>noobness, and thank you for the cheer.

Re: edit. I 'm ashamed to say I missed your post too, Melzar (sp?). Thank you.

13. Tessie

ha ha. No one has called me Miz T before. I like it. Shrugg, did you see my poem in Elijer's introduction?

Ah, I didn't get your message in reply to my friend request. That's alright. I'm still learning stuff, honestly. Surprisingly, I'm normally not a good, computer-orientated person. For me, technology is a pain to have, but also a pain not to have. (smiley)

14. Eunoia

Huh, what screen name?

15. carbonbased

carbonbased New Member

Oh, I'm not after your heart, just your wallet.

16. NarcissusShrugged

Miz T, I did indeed read your poem. Written so well, in fact, it would have turned Shakespeare green. I mean with envy of course. ;). Shrugg is good by the way. Infinitely better than Narc or for that matter, most of the other things I've been called in real life.

Eunoia, I thought your name was taken from Greek for lovely thought. I punned, and for that I'm truly sorry. Please forgive?

Carbonbased: Always good to know where I stand. For instance, I'm now thinking that standing behind Carbonbased, with one eye trained on him at all times, would probably be for the best, from a personal finance perspective at least.

17. Tessie

Ah, thanks. My poems are alright. The inspiration and ideas are there, but the meter isn't at times. (smiley)

18. Eunoia

No, I shan't forgive you.
    I kid. As far as I know, 'eunoia' means beautiful thinking.