1. ComplexRobot

ComplexRobot Member

Dark Dystopian Science Fiction Fantasy Apocalypses are my favorite!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ComplexRobot, Jan 25, 2013.

Hello, everyone.

I found this forum through Google, when I decided I wanted to share my writing to see if anyone would enjoy it.
    I do have a lot to improve upon in my writing, so it's a plus that this website has an entire section dedicated to that.
    I also want to read what other people have to write about, but I probably won't be giving a critique anytime soon. :)

I haven't written many stories, but, recently, I took a Science Fiction class in my college, and it inspired me to write about the stories I always think so deeply about.
    I wrote the first chapter of what might be a three-chapter short story, and it's a little rough, so I'll probably have to update it before I show anyone. (I read the rules, so I know I can't anyway.)
    The stuff I come up with is usually set in a modern, near-future, or futuristic reality based upon our own, sometimes with fantasy elements. (Reality with a twist.) I like to make stories with deep, depressing themes (e.g., depression and suicide, my current addiction) that contain something to make it set apart from normal reality. My writing is definitely aimed mostly at an adult audience.
    One of the problems I have is that I usually have abstract ideas instead of well-defined settings, characters and situations.

I don't read many books, which is probably a really big problem, but it's hard to find the time. I like Science Fiction and Sherlock Holmes... The only things I've read within the past 7 years are: Ender's Game, Artemis Fowl, (both for a high school class), Ready Player One, How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe, (both for a college class), and The Sign of the Four (Sherlock Holmes). So, as you can see, I am not a bookworm...

I'm a Math and Programming nerd. I have Asperger's and probably some light flavor of Schizophrenia. (Not to weird you out or anything! :D)
    I also like Anime & Manga, as well as the Japanese Language. Sometimes manga or anime inspire me to write.

Anime/Manga that I love and influences my writing: Death Note, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Detective Conan (Case Closed), Mirai Nikki (Future Diary), Steins; Gate, Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl), Shiki (Corpse Demon), Astro Boy, and many more!
    I also like some TV shows and movies, but I don't think about that as much.

As this is a writing forum, I made a very long introduction, and I could continue, but I'll stop for now!
    If anyone can suggest any good books, manga, anime, movies, TV shows, etc., that I may like, please do!

~Cheers, Peace, and Love!

(Hope this wasn't too long. :O)

2. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome on board.

3. ComplexRobot

ComplexRobot Member

Thanks, thanks, thanks. ;)
    Also, I changed my mind about giving critiques... I think I'll be giving some to the best of my ability.

4. BritInFrance

BritInFrance Active Member

Hi ComplexRobot, welcome! Glad you want to critique. It has really helped me notice things I could do better, and things I do that don't work, by critiquing others work. Good to have you on board!

5. AndyB

AndyB New Member

Agree with you there, it cant all be heroes and space ship, got to have some grit to make it real.

I write in a similar style, the first few chapters i've written of the fan fiction book i'm working on (started as a short story beginning of 250 words two weeks ago) have at least 5 deaths in the first chapter, cruel and unusually punishment, a suicide rather than face consequences and 2 other deaths in chapter 2. plus drunken carousing, debauchery and prostitution.

all set in a galaxy where life is cheap and questions asked are 'how much can i get for this pile of scrap that moments before was a ship?'

later in the book a threat of galactic destruction is revealed as well.

I'm also new here having returned to writing only a couple of weeks ago and changed to fiction from the tech writing i used to do, well - from fiction if you disguised the product reviews :D

as for suggesting books, if you like your humor with a touch of the dark Terry Pratchett is always good

hope you have as much fun writing as i do :D

6. ComplexRobot

ComplexRobot Member

Well, I don't usually cram that many things into one story. I usually come up with a basic idea that I like or find a little clever/interesting.
    It's not that my intention is to be colorful, but rather, meaningful and maybe something that will make the reader think about something they never thought about before.
    Or, well, I might just confuse the hell out of people. I guess I'll find out. I'm currently writing a story that I want to enter into the current short story contest. ('A tribute' is the contest theme.)

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, ComplexRobot!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirements. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills. The requirements of the Writing Workshop don't apply to the contests, so new members are allowed (nay, encouraged!) to get stuck in and enter!

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

8. AndyB

AndyB New Member

Cant say I do either, first book but after writing the first 12000 words in less than 2 weeks i now have the basic plot outline of 5 other books in a series and an orphan scene file that's 10,000 words on its own to draw from.

what can I say, a spark of creativity caused an explosion!

I've even started on passages of religious sounding text for book 4 and have a whole legend built up around them doing an Andromeda and being stuck in a black hole for a few thousand years all written in dark ages middle English:

I'd be interested in reading some of your stuff; roll on two weeks so you can post it :)

9. ComplexRobot

ComplexRobot Member

Well, that's pretty interesting. I just started writing, so I only wrote the first third of a short story, and it is ~3600 words. I decided to split it up into two chapters. It actually had a perfect split about halfway, so I might post the 1800 word chapter.
    Or, if I can come up with something shorter, I may do that, as it would be a good idea for my first critique.

At the moment, I'm juggling schoolwork with my other hobbies, but if I can finish the story I'm writing for the current contest, you can read that when I post it.
    I'd be interested in reading your writing as well. I'm curious if it's something I'd like.

10. AndyB

AndyB New Member

time is a factor that prevents a lot of people writing, not a problem i'll have as i have a bit of a cushion and am between jobs.

and not to blow my own trumpet or anything but i posted a few snippets to facebook before posting the links to the drafts of my first 2 chapters and before long i had a few messages asking me to hurry up with chapter 3 :)

my first is just over 2000 words but my second is about 4000 and the third is at 6000 with massive gaps to fill so will need splitting down. C1 found it's own size but I've already divided C2 twice so know what a pain it can be.