1. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

The tradition of new members

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LazyBum, Feb 12, 2017.

Hello, everyone. This is my first post here, though, I'm nervous. Not because I'm new, but because, any introductory post is often a bad omen for me.

Places where I introduce myself on new member boards, I tend not to frequent afterwards much and interest fizzles out. Whereas, for most of the forums I still visit passionately, I had skipped the awkward greeting and dove inwards, hoping to blend in and have fun.

I really desire to break that habit here. I have never sought out a writers community before now. I don't write for a living and most friends and family don't even know that it's my most treasured hobby.

This feels like a big jump off of a cliff for me, honestly. I have also never shared any fiction or writings of my own with others. I love to create stories, but for a long time, it has always been personal to me.

So, with the shyest of intentions, I take a step forwards in greeting to the writers of this community. Pleased to meet you!

Daniel and jannert like this.
  2. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Welcome.

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

You'll be fine. We're mostly harmless.

4. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Hey @LazyBum welcome to WritingForums.org. I'm generally the same way when joining new forums, I hope in this case it's different for you. ;) I, too, was the same as you, keeping my interest in writing as a top secret hobby for the longest time (until I started this forum).

Welcome to our community.

5. ChaseTheSun

ChaseTheSun Senior Member

Hey @LazyBum! Just pretend you've been here forever and we will all take that at face value and assume you belong. ;) Welcome!!

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hello, and welcome! Don't feel strange about not wanting to show everybody your work, at least not until after you've finished it. As soon as you mention that you 'write,' you'll have people constantly asking questions like: 'how's it coming along?' And you have to say something, even if it's not 'coming along' all that well and you'd rather not admit it. And then: 'when will it be finished?' (As if you can answer that.) And then: 'when will it be published?' Aargh. Pressure.

By all means, keep your project to yourself until you feel happy admitting you write, and showing it around. Meanwhile you can 'hang out' with us here. We all do writing to some extent, so you're among friends. And there is no pressure. Have fun!

ChaseTheSun likes this.