1. animagus_kitty

animagus_kitty Senior Member

Well, isn't this a novel idea!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by animagus_kitty, Apr 3, 2017.

An introduction forum! How fantastic!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Why yes, I do like puns, why do you ask?
    I've always been a writer, I think. I have two books on my mother's bookshelf that I wrote when I was in elementary school; granted, one of them is about my grandparents' farm and the other is about unicorns and was a school project, but they're hardbound and real. Did it start before then? Hard to say. I learned to read by the time I was 3 or 4, had forgotten more about Star Trek than most people will ever know by the time I was in kindergarten (no, seriously, I did), and once memorized seven Shakespeare monologues because why not.

I like to think I'm funny, and sometimes, I even am.

I'm writing a book entitled Wrong Side of a War, in which the main character finds himself not only part of a galactic Imperium that's under attack by a rebellion, but the very reason that the Imperium loses the war. It's meant to be a writer's rebellion against the idea that history is written by the victors.

I object to the idea that Good will always win because it's Good. That's the thought that spurs everything I've ever written. (well, except the first two books I wrote in elementary school. :p )

:superhello:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    MelimeliDev, rktho and Simpson17866 like this.
  2. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the site! My brother and I always used to love watching Star Trek with our grandfather (that and Big Bang Theory were officially called "Nerd Night" :) ), my favorite Shakespeare plays are Caesar and MacBeth, and my horror stories always end with the good guys losing :twisted:

Do you ever write Villain Protagonists as a "writer's rebellion" against every story having to be about the good guys?

3. animagus_kitty

Either you edited your post, or my brain missed the last line when i saw it the first time. Probably my brain's fault.

I have no objection to there being clear good guys and clear bad guys; however, my book very intentionally blurs the lines between the two. I've corrected people who've referred to the main character's opposite as the villain; he's no more a villain than Mal is a hero. They're simply protagonist and antagonist. The main character, and the guy in charge on the other side. They fight the same war for the same reasons...they just happen to be on opposite sides of the issue.

Course, writing the story from the villain's perspective has occurred to me, and may happen eventually.

4. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

OH :oops: Yeah, that was me editing.

1) Mal isn't "not a hero," he's a hero who tries to convince himself that he's not. There's a difference ;)

2) Believe me, I've had a lot of fun writing villain protagonists :twisted:

5. MelimeliDev

MelimeliDev New Member

Hi! Great introduction!

Your book sounds interesting, are you going to post it here? :)

6. animagus_kitty

That's the plan, but it may be a bit before it's ready for posting. Not sure what the rules are.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

its in the welcome pm you got from wreybies , but in brief 20 posts and two weeks membership unless you buy a supporters subscription, and two crits given for every piece posted for crit.

also don't post your whole book - excepts of 3k or less stand a better chance of getting critiqued

Simpson17866 likes this.