1. shoTgun

shoTgun New Member

Hello! Fantasy game designer (and writer)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shoTgun, Jan 21, 2022.

I'm an indie game developer working on a tactical RPG set in a fantasy world. I (together with my team) are concocting a story and it has been a fun though challenging endeavor for me. I'm an illustrator and an graphic artist, but I really love writing.

One of my biggest inspirations, both in general and when writing for the game, are the Fighting Fantasy books I read when I was a kid. From a writing perspective, there's something liberating in creating miniature, almost independent scenarios.

I've had a quick look around and it's evidently an active and serious forum. I'm looking forward to learning about how to become a better writer and storyteller, and possibly share some of my/our work.

I attached a photo from our game showing one such "mini scenario", in case anyone's curious.

Attached Files:

2. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Hey, welcome! I dabble in/study game dev myself, and I have to say your project is looking good. Love me some tactical Fantasy RPGs. I've done art for games (pixel sprites, mostly) but never really got to do writing for one. It seems like a very intriguing way to tell stories, what with interactivity, branching narratives and that. Do you write strictly for games, or do you do novels and things as well? Linear fiction, I guess we can call it.

3. shoTgun

shoTgun New Member

Hi!
    Which field of game dev are you studying?
    Our game is early in pre-alpha, btw, but you can try it if you want :)
    I took several courses in creative writing where I wrote some linear fiction, but otherwise I write just for games.

4. Keongxi

Keongxi Member

I have House of Hell and Way of the Samurai(?). Of the two I prefer House of Hell for it's horror. :twisted:

5. Night Herald

Well, I've studied design philosophy, done a bit of coding, 3D, idea work and conceptualization, Unity and Unreal Engine, but now I've mostly settled into concept art and asset creation (mainly pixel art). I'm broadly incompetent :D

Sure, I'd love to have a look at your game.

6. shoTgun

shoTgun New Member

House of Hell is considered one of Steve Jackson's best! It's also special as it starts you bare-handed and the setting you're in is modern.
    Sword of the Samurai is also a good one, albeit by different writer/artist.

Keongxi likes this.
  7. shoTgun

shoTgun New Member

"Broadly incompetent" is a good place from which to specialize. It's good to familiarize yourself with all facets of game development before choosing a point of focus. As an artist (and somewhat of a pixel-artist), your choice sounds fun! :D

Do you have Steam? I can send you a key, if you wish.
    The game doesn't have a Steam page yet for you to look at, but I do have a Twitter account with some images.

Night Herald likes this.
  8. Night Herald

Yep! I do wish that. I'm loving those images, game looks to be shaping up nicely