1. Tvtran315

Tvtran315 New Member

A lifelong work?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tvtran315, Mar 7, 2015.

My name is Tvtran315.

I've always had an interest in fantasy and history. Reading about ancient Greeks, Egyptians, Romans, and works including the Hobbit / Lord of the Rings, the Kingkiller Chronicles, even the world and lore from things such as Warcraft or mythologies have all fascinated and influenced me.

In middle school, a story popped up in my head. It began to brew in high school, where I attempted an awful first chapter. It had no background, no voice, no purpose (not to mention it was pretty garbage writing too :D). I'm a first year History Major now (although I plan to either put it off when I'm older and major in a computer / IT related field or double major) and after reading and studying works of literature / history, I've managed to create.... well, something. It's a history of the world I'm attempting to create. Kind of like the Bible or the Silmarillion to Tolkien's world.

What am I trying to do? I've found it strange and amusing that a story that was created in my head in middle school is still stuck with me. I guess all I want to do is get this story out, and I don't mind it taking years or decades (fantasy literature can be timeless, like works from Tolkien and George R. R. Martin). The problems I'm facing are, well, not having found a "voice". Tolkien has this storytelling, narrative voice that's simple. Pretty much, how am I going to tell the story? I also need to add detail and content, because all I have is the unfinished backbone and skeleton of the story (although these literature and history courses are helping a great deal in creating inspirations and ideas). I've only ever written creative content when I was forced to so I know it will take time before I find what I want / can do.

I don't really plan on being a writer as an occupation or job, although as a hobby it sounds incredibly fun. However, it's more of something I feel like I want to accomplish; a story was born in my head and it's been bugging me for years that I'm not able to create it. I want to give it life. It is incredibly slow, I mean it's taken me about 5 years to just create an incomplete skeleton! I'm not even 20 yet so I have plenty of time to get this done.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope to have a great time with this community! Yes I've already read the New Member Guide :)

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Hey and welcome to the forum, Tvtran315!

Quite a good story you have there (the story about your story, ;)), I enjoyed reading it. When it comes to finding your writer's voice and getting comfortable with detailing, etc. I think the best approach is to write stuff. Something, anything. Just random scenes, stories and whatnot to get you into the process of writing. Eventually your voice will start taking shape.

Good luck, and have fun!

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi @Tvtran315, welcome to the forum.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.