1. Stormfire

Stormfire New Member

Hello.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Stormfire, Dec 29, 2007.

My name's Craig, and I've joined this forum looking to talk to others who are as interested in writing as I am. Since about six months ago I have been living in Manchester, England with my boyfriend, but before that I was in San Jose, California. I am very critical and insecure about my own writing. I pretty much think everything I write is crap and won't get me anywhere, even though all I want to do in life is write. I like writing horror stories, but none of my stories ever really turn out to be scary. My favorite author is Clive Barker, I just love his style and the whole dark fantasy genre he does exceptionally well. I like the idea of dark fantasy and like to imagine my writing is that, if not blatant horror.

I have some of my writings up on my deviantart page, which I guess you will have to get through my profile at the moment, since I'm apparently not allowed to post urls yet.
    If you would like to add me on there, I will gladly accept and give feedback on anything you may have up there.

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello Craig, and a big warm welcome to WF.org, the friendliest and craziest forum on the world wide web.
    It is wonderful that you have come here to join us and share your writing and opinions with all of us.
    If you would ever like a review simply PM myself or one of the other Reviewers and we will be more than happy to help out. You can find the list of reviewers by clicking on the Forum Leaders button at the bottom of the forum. :)
    I do hope that your stay with us is long and prosperous. :)
    Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing you around the boards in the very near future.

Thank you kindly

Torana

EDIT: Clive Barker is a genious :) and I too have a love for horror writing so when you post some of your work here send a PM my way I will be more than happy to take a look at it.

3. Stormfire

Stormfire New Member

I will be sure to do that, thank you. :D

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Craig, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

It's a good sign, in my opinion, to feel critical of your own writing, because that provides the necessary push to continually improve. Still, I hope you develop some confidence through practice, to balance the dissatisfaction.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well!

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

5. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Welcome to the site, Craig. Everyone has fileld you with all the tedious details, so I'll simply encourage you to trust your ability to write - which many do not have. I hope you come out as a successful writer.