1. Marcus Salway

Marcus Salway New Member

Hello from a new guy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Marcus Salway, Jun 9, 2016.

Hi all!

Looking around the internet, this forum appeared to stand out to me as a place where I could meet like minded writers and create new friendships.

My book is very new (just 5000 words so far) though the final story has already played out in my head - I've just the translation from thoughts and memories to paper to do now!

Looking forward to speaking more to you all,

Best Regards,
    Marcus

2. A man called Valance

A man called Valance Senior Member

Welcome Marcus Salway. You made a good choice.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Marcus Salway

Marcus Salway New Member

Thanks, and hello A man called Valance! Pleased to meet you. You've been here a long time, I see. I also see that you have written a piece called The Ghost of Smiley Doolan - I look forward to reading it when I have more free time later today.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. A man called Valance

A man called Valance Senior Member

You don't want to waste too much time reading that when you've got all that stuff in your head to write. Besides, there's better things to read in here. See you around, Pard.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

Welcome @Marcus Salway ! I'm sure you will learn a lot here, I know I have.

I'm the same as you, got the whole thing going around my head but need to translate it into readable words.
    I'm curious to learn what your story is about!

Oscar Leigh and Marcus Salway like this.
  6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to WF! :)

Sounds like you've come to the right place. :D Good luck with your novel. What's it about, if I may ask? :)

Here's our New Member Quick Start Guide to get you officially started. See you around!

-Kat

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Marcus Salway

Marcus Salway New Member

Hi both - very happy to see people are so friendly here!

The book is about the break-up of a relationship between a man and his wife, from both their POV's. There are things going on in their lives that the other knows nothing about and the same events are played out from different perspectives. Amongst the story are flashbacks that bring the reader up to the start of the book, and answers a few plot questions that arise throughout the chapters. The plan is for the book to show the emotional highs and lows of a relationship and how they both deal with it.

I've a lot to get onto paper as it's something that I've actually been living through during the past few months, so the whole story and all the emotions are still pretty raw - I'm hoping to capture them all in my words before too much of it become memories!

Brindy, Oscar Leigh and Shbooblie like this.
  8. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

Hello Marcus, good to see you here, you definitely chose the right forum, everyone here is absolutely fantastic - you won't regret it

9. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

Sounds interesting, I'd be up for reading it once you're done :)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. Marcus Salway

Marcus Salway New Member

Thank you, Shbooblie. As soon as I can, I'll put some of it on here - I'm very keen to read some critique to help improve my writing :)

Oscar Leigh and Shbooblie like this.
  11. mswicked27

mswicked27 New Member

Hiyas fellow newcomer! So far this place seems like a great place to be I'm looking forward to participating more!

12. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

Can't wait to see you both around on the boards.

13. Marcus Salway

Marcus Salway New Member

Hi mswicked27, welcome also! :)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  14. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the madhouse!:D
    Your book sound really cool.
    And yes, the translation struggle. We all feel it. Personally, I write to make the voices stop. Too. Many. Ideas. So I really feel you.

15. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

Hi, you will get lots of help here, it's a really active forum. I have learned so much since I joined. I look forward to reading some of your work on this, as I too have recently come through a divorce after discovering my other half had a whole part to his life for the previous 2 years. Even after I found out I couldn't work out how he'd managed it. Happy to help with any read throughs.

Shbooblie and Oscar Leigh like this.
  16. Marcus Salway

Marcus Salway New Member

Thank you, both, much appreciated words there. Not had chance to carry on typing on the book over the last few days though I have continued to put pen to paper in a notebook, ensuring that emotions, feelings and ideas are captured. My memory is terrible at the best of times, so notes are an absolute must!

Oscar Leigh and Brindy like this.
  17. Marcus Salway

Marcus Salway New Member

So sorry to hear you've had to find out about your other half. I would absolutely love to have your opinion via some read-throughs!

18. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

I also use the voice recorder on my phone when I am out and about, I make short prompts so that when I get home I can jot down things, otherwise I get back and my thoughts have been taken over by what I need from the shops, what's for dinner and whether I need to put out the bins.

19. Marcus Salway

Marcus Salway New Member

^ That's a great idea, I've no idea why I never thought of that before now, thanks! Are you writing anything currently?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  20. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Marcus! Welcome! :-D I see I'm late to the game, but welcome all the same. :whistle: :bigcool:

Marcus Salway, Brindy and Oscar Leigh like this.
  21. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

I have my first novel, a children's time-travel, historical, adventure almost ready to self-publish. 54,500 words for 9-11 year old. Book cover done, edited and proofread. Just waiting for me to complete the lead in to book 2 and finalise the formatting and it's time to see what happens.

I was halfway through writing this when my marriage went wrong, so there was an 18 month 'rest'. Now my creative side is fired up again, but I'm currently on holiday in southern Spain, and so book two planning is in process while I hide under a sun umbrella on the beach, listening to the waves of the Atlantic crash on the beach. You get the idea, left my laptop at home.

Marcus Salway and Oscar Leigh like this.
  22. Marcus Salway

Marcus Salway New Member

I'm not sure what sounds more gratifying - satisfaction from completing your book or allowing the Atlantic waves to romance you whilst you hide from the Spanish sun!

Really good to hear that you have found your creativity again after the rest period. I started formulating my story after I initially found texts to/from my wife, then began putting words down on the computer. The break-up since has stepped up my motivation several more gears and cannot wait for each opportunity to develope the book more

Brindy likes this.
  23. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

Just be sure to try and use it as a healing process and not to keep wounds open. If you can try and inject a little humour it will make it easier for the reader, but I know it's not easy in these circumstances.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  24. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Yes, make sure carefully that you don't turn the book into a vent.

25. Marcus Salway

Marcus Salway New Member

Thanks for the advice! The book definitely won't be a vent though. As with anything in life, things are not black and white, including my break-up. I understand that there were reasons (justifyable to at least one person) for everything that happened and that there is not one person to blame in most break-ups.

I want the book to portray that. The wife has had struggles coming to terms with the relationship, then about how it would end and mentally is more prepared for it when it happens. Similarly, the husband is struggling to understand how it all went wrong when in his mind things were going so well. As the story progresses, other characters in both partner's life come into play and (I'm planning) for the whole story to branch off in numerous directions, whilst hopefully filling in the gaps and allowing the reader to understand more about why and how the husband and wife fell out of love.

Incidently, I don't hate my ex for our break-up, and alot of the experiences that I write about, though heavily inspired by "us", will steer clear of blame and one-sidedness. Because the reality of it was, it was not a one-sided break-up. And we had some great times together (some of which the flash-backs will touch upon)

Oscar Leigh likes this.