1. maja_nwk

maja_nwk New Member

A newcomer saying Hi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by maja_nwk, Feb 3, 2023.

I'm a notorious closet writer, in a constant writer-to-be mode. But for the past few weeks, I've been reading some of the stories people shared on this forum, and I promised myself (for the umpteenth time, of course) to sit my bottom down and start making some progress in the confidence department.

And so I guess joining you guys would be the first step because no journey is complete without a traveling partner :)

I have plenty of stories, longer and shorter, good and bad hidden in the depths of my cloud drives. Most of them are probably bad for not having ever seen an eye of another person. I plan to change that. And learn. Learn how to write better, crispier, and more vivid fiction, and to then set it in front of other people's eyes. At last.

I feel oddly naked now.

But thanks!

off and Louanne Learning like this.
  2. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Welcome Maja to the forum, looking forward to seeing you in the threads. A good place to start is by reviewing/critiquing the work of other writers in the Workshop thread, and with enough credits you can then post some of your work, which I very much look forward to reading! Also, take advantage of the writing contests. They are a wonderful opportunity to hone your skills.

off likes this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Welcome from me as well! Glad to have you here among us, and our eyes. o_O ;)

Wait a minute—I thought nobody could see the stories in the Workshop unless they were members here? Is that not true? Trying to remember if I could see them before I joined, but it's been too long. Not that I care all that much, just curious.

off likes this.
  4. off

off Banned

Currently Reading::
    Obstructed by Lightning; Unsalted Boundaries; And: The Separation of Nouns, verbs and Adjectives in Prehistoric Languages
    "A journey of a thousand miles taken completely naked starts with one step." - Confucius.

Welcome aboard the boards, Maja! All boarding! But luckily, none water-boarding. We always welcome new flesh and blood, to keep us from getting bored with the boards.

I jumped in with two feet first, just about three or four weeks ago. It's a fun atmosphere here, if somewhat a bit jostling. People tend to be nice, but with a bit of an edge, which keeps the atmosphere from being insufferable.

If you wish to hone your writing skills, this is a good place. I'd encourage you to get your teeth (literary, not literally) into some prompt writing. That helps me, because, basically, I have lived too long and due to that my creativity level (urge to create on topics I dream up myself) has dropped. Prompt-writing in this sense is comparable to hormone replacement therapy in older adults. You get the vigour back, but there is an after-taste in your mouth after each episode of activity.

5. Xoic

"We always"... YOU'RE BRAND NEW!! :fight: :supergrin:

I just noticed something odd. Look at both of our join dates.

off likes this.
  6. off

off Banned

Obstructed by Lightning; Unsalted Boundaries; And: The Separation of Nouns, verbs and Adjectives in Prehistoric Languages
    Yeah, but I feel like an old soul.

You know how when you meet a stranger who is extremely sympatico, you feel you've known each other for a long time, even though you only started to talk to each other five minutes ago for the first time? Well, that's how I feel on this forum. I feel I own it now, basically. (Not that I do, but that's my feel of it, anyway.)

Xoic likes this.
  7. off

off Banned

Right. You: start of Covid. Me: end of deadly phase of Covid. We both: are sick and tired of Yule, when all the shops and entertainment venues are closed, and we are both bored to death. Painfully bored. It's actually a torture device, Yule is.

8. Xoic

What I noticed was: me day before Christmas, you day after Christmas.

9. maja_nwk

maja_nwk New Member

Just to clarify :D by stories I meant the daily grind stories. People getting up their courage to take that first step. But on the other hand, I've seen some passages uploaded for critique before I actually signed up for an account. Just like me to stir up conspiracy theories right off the bat ;)

Xoic likes this.
  10. Xoic

Oh ok! Good to know. Our sanctity is still safe!