1. phurst

phurst New Member

Knew

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by phurst, Oct 31, 2007.

Thanks for having this active forum. I have alot to learn and would love some feedback from other writers on my 'stuff' I do short, mid, and full length. I do humor, romance, horror, and thriller. I have even written a few amateur poems. Anything I can do to help, just ask.

2. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Hi there
    I'll let other people post up the huge explanation of the site greeting. Instead I'll go with the simple hello and greetings.
    Hello
    I'm glad you've already looked through the site and found it helpful. If you need anything reviewed just give me a pm and I'll be happy to get to it as soon as humanly possible.
    Cheers.

3. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Welcome to the Writing forums. you can help me at least, by staying cheerful and working hard. We're here to be happy, not to sulk!

Here's a basic welcome from all of us. It should be obvious, but in case it isn't, let me explain. The Writing Problems Area is exclusively where opinions on different ways to write, blockages in writing styles and similar problems can be discussed. In the Review Rom, you can get critical appreciation and/or analysis of your written material. Behold, you must first review two pieces of writing before posting your own. This is ensure the pieces are evaluated to the most. Other than this, we have Writing Cotnests, weekly and monthly, where you can submit your writing. We also have Word games, Book Discussion and so on, classified under Community interaction. It may interest you if you're just hanging around.

adamant has been kind enough to put many of the things I have mentioned or missed out on in one comprehensive place. If you want to check it out, see the Newbie Packets:
    Noobie Packets! - Writing Forums

Enjoy it here, and don't feel shy to ask for help. We are all here to teach and learn in a mutual environment. And we hope you can do the same.

Regards and Best Wishes!

4. jayger04

jayger04 New Member

Hi there,

Nice to meet you, see you around the forums. This is a great forum, set out really well, so hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

Rachel

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello phurst, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Our decade is insiduously taking over the forums. Welcome to the Revolution!

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room on this site, therefore, is a true workshop, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

6. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

Welcome to the forums and happy posting!

7. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

A pleasure to have you here. We have many talented member that will be able to offer advice and critique, but I hope you can also impart some of your knowledge too to make your stay mutually beneficial. I look forward to our meeting in the threads,

Should you be so inclined and you say are, then please be free to enter into our short story contests, follow this link for details.

Short Story Contest (12) - Theme: Halloween - Writing Forums

8. phurst

phurst New Member

So to review, just go read the "writing' and review it? Anything special or different that that?

9. Cogito

Well, what you get out of reviewing, as in writing, is proportional to what you put into it. In my opinion, the emphasis on reviewing as a writing skill is one of the things that sets this site apart from other writing sites.

Reviewing is a process we apply to our own work as well as others' work, to deliver the best writing we are capable of. And finding something new to improve someone else's work provides us with one more thing to look for in our own.

1 person likes this.
  10. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Heya! Welcome to the site :) Hope you're settling in alright.

11. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forum I hope you have a great time here with all of us and I look forward to seeing your work around the boards.
    Torana

12. phurst

phurst New Member

Back from an extended absence

With some help from people on this site and many others I was able to publish Bled Out. In spitie of my full time job and the marketing nightmare in front of me, I think I'll now have time to rejoin you and help others again.

13. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome back! :)

14. Cogito

Hello phurst, Welcome back to the Creative Writing Forums.

Some things have changed sinceyou were here last.

Please read How to Use the Writing Workshop before you try to post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here anyway. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Writing Workshop, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Writing Workshop, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. We also impose a two-week waiting period before you may post writing for critique, to give you time to become familiar with what is expected and how the site operates. The Writing Workshop forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Writing Workshop forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

15. Velox

Velox Member

Even though I didn't know you before, it's good to have you back. Hope to see more of you and your works. Enjoy your stay!

16. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Welcome back. :)