1. H L McCullock

H L McCullock New Member

Aspiring writer.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by H L McCullock, Jun 6, 2016.

Hi all

Just like most people on this thread I am desperate to write. I'm not entirely sure if I have the skills to write anything interesting let alone see this through - I have never really sat down and written before, but I have always wanted to try.

Despite being someone who doesn't really enjoy romance films or books, I am very interested in exploring an emotional affair between two people. Both of which are attached to others. I don't want this to be a 'Will they won't they?' story, I want it to be pretty clear that they never will be together. But I want to explore the impact of being completely in love with someone else but both being aware that all you can ever be to each other is a secret dream.

I've briefly written a couple of scenes and jotted down places I want the story to go but I guess what I would like to know is how others prepare to write or what tips could you all give me for starting to write.

Thanks in advance and nice to meet you ;)

HL

Shbooblie likes this.
  2. Diane Elgin

Diane Elgin Member

Writing is craft first, art second. So long as you listen to feedback, study the greats to see how it's done and flood your essence into everything you write then you will find yourself improving every line you write. :)

Your idea for a story sounds fascinating and your desire to avoid 'Will they/won't they?' is great. Using that, I'd focus on the conflicts it causes in their respective partnerships. Relationships tend to deteriorate when one is invested and the other isn't and although your main characters might not end up together, if they are both being doted upon by their respective partners when all they can think of is each other, you can see how that might cause strain, blame and juicy, juicy conflict for your reader to devour.

Enjoy your stay here at WF!

3. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Hello, you will find a lot of good advice and help here.

4. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

Welcome to the forum @H L McCullock ! Your idea sounds very intriguing which is always a good start, I'm very much like yourself in that I've never really wrote before but have always been curious to give it a try. When the story gets you it just won't leave you alone right?

I can say that being a member on this forum has been so useful to the development of my ideas, my story is a lot stronger than it was at the initial conception. Like Deadmoon says, there is a whole lot of good advice to be had here. I look forward to seeing more from you on the forum :superhello:

5. H L McCullock

H L McCullock New Member

Thank you so much. That's really helpful advice. :)