?

Anyone ever tried the Hemingway editor? (I've been trying it but not sure I like it's results)

1. Yup, I like it.

2. Yup, didn't like it

3. Nope

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Midlife crisis forces trying new things

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by doggiedude, Feb 15, 2016.

So here I am in my late 40's a suddenly deciding to write a novel that's been bouncing around my head for the past thirty years. I've tried writing it a couple of times before without any success but now that I'm not working a regular job I figured this was my chance to make a real effort with it. I'm sure this is not an unusual life path but it's not looking like an easy one either. After spending the past couple of weeks working on this novel I've realized that the idea in my head has always been a plot, not a full story. I know the basic beginning and I know the ending but getting from point A to point B is the mystery I'm trying to develop.

I've also spent the past few weeks doing internet research on things like publishing, editing, creative writing tips, even some basic grammar. This looks like an interesting site to find some answers so here I am.

oh ... Science Fiction

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Sounds like a challenge! There will probably be some roadbumps, but hang in there - writing can be really rewarding.

3. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

First, I'd suggest doing some reading:
    • Techniques of the Selling Writer by Dwight V. Swain
    • Save the Cat! by Blake Snyder
    These two books will give you a solid grounding in building a plot (Snyder) and the scene-by-scene, paragraph-by-paragraph of novel writing (Swain).

The Snyder book is aimed at screenwriters, but don't let that put you off. Good stories are good stories, no matter the medium.

Then:
    • start with a logline (nailing this means you've got a good handle on what you're writing)
    • either knock out a first draft or do an outline,
    • if you chose to write a first draft, when it's done, put it away for a while and when you come back, then write the outline,
    • no matter if you started with a first draft or an outline, write a page-one draft (this means, write or rewrite it from scratch) based on your outline (but using any insights you garnered from writing the first draft),
    • rewrite
    • rewrite
    • rewrite
    • polish

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

And I would recommend none of the things @Sack-a-Doo! recommends (well, except for writing a first draft at some point), so... welcome to the bewildering world of writing advice, where nobody can ever agree on anything!

5. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

The writing & rewriting part I've been doing. Never been a big fan of outlines but I've been keeping a running file of character details, dates, and made up companies & organizations.
    The naming of things has been a lot of fun, I've been using foreign (and sometimes ancient) words as names. It would make a fun Easter egg hunt if anyone ever reads this thing and looks up the meanings behind some of the names.

6. Startled Crow

Startled Crow New Member

Welcome to WF, @doggiedude I just joined myself and thus far, I really like the place a lot. There is a lot of good resources here! :)

7. Penfist

Penfist Member

Reach for the stars! I'm a fellow mid-life crisis sufferer. It's great!