1. OJ Monroe

OJ Monroe New Member

Hello, I am Jay

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OJ Monroe, Oct 18, 2018.

I am new to the site. My pen name is OJ Monroe, I am looking to focus on fiction. I currently work full times as an Instructor for the military and I live in Denver, but I am always working in Oklahome for majority of the year.

I am currently working on a 4 book series, I know what I want. But the hard part is taking what's in your head and organizing it on paper. I am just looking for a little advice on how to start and where to start. I would like to get my first two books of the series done and see how people like my books. Depending on how they first two books do then I will decide if I will release the next one.

Is there anyone that knows about marketing of your first book?

2. tdk321

tdk321 Member

3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Welcome to the forum, Jay. You'll find that there are a lot of helpful people around here and a lot of good information on a variety of topics. I don't know anything about publishing, but the answers to your questions will probably be dependent on what sort of book you're writing (or have written? Not clear if you're done yet). Trying to get a fiction book published is probably going to go through a different process than a history book or collection of essays. Check out the Publishing sub-forum at the top of the main page (for now, it may be moving soon) and you'll probably find some answers pertaining to your questions, and if you don't, don't be afraid to ask in more specific detail.

There's a lot more that goes on around here than simply writing Q&A though, so don't be shy about wandering about in the Lounge and getting to know people or looking at some of the work in the Workshop that's been offered up for critique. Once you've met your requirements, you'll be able to post your work there as well, if you're interested.

Welcome aboard!

ETA (that means Edit To Add around here): Sorry, glossed over your mention of focusing on fiction. Still lots of good advice here, that's what most of us write.

Mark Burton likes this.
  4. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

Welcome, OJ! We're serious about writing and all the whatnots that go with that and not serious about much else. Browse the isles (aka the various sub-fora) and read the books (aka threads). We don't even mind if you scribble in the books by posting comments, etc.

5. tdk321

tdk321 Member

Shit, hes not a bot?

OJ Monroe, pardon my ignorance of forum etiquette, I'm somewhat new to board culture.

6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I didn't see anything that smelled bot-ish, but somehow he made an introduction thread in October and no one noticed. He's probably wandered on by now, thinking us a cold and standoffish group.

Jay? JAY! If you're out there, drop by again, sorry for ignoring you. :(

7. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

We'd love it if you share that part of your own know-how that can be publicly shared.

And if you need tools organise your story you might find movie and TV structure working useful.

Monomyth is good place to start. Add some learning about archetypes to that and you have good tools to seek more knowledge.

Fastest start is via Youtube video clips. They can give you good hints about which books to seek about writing.

8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superhello:
    :superagree:
    Free Kitten.jpg

Mark Burton likes this.
  9. Mr Novelist

Mr Novelist Banned

Welcome Jay.