1. Lyle Aryn

Lyle Aryn New Member

Hello, I am Lyle Aryn

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lyle Aryn, Jan 14, 2018.

I must admit. I'm a little gun shy about joining a forum again. Since getting my book in print, though, I've learned that the most important skill to have as a self-published author is the ability to network.

Darn. And here I spent all these years honing my craft!

I'll try to keep this short, but I am a writer, so...

In kindergarten we were given these stapled together sheets of office paper between two sheets of construction paper. Mine was purple. This was our "journal" and we could use it every day. On page number 1 of mine?

"I want to make books"

In yellow crayon, no less.

Hey, I was 6. My grammar and/or understanding of the process wasn't developed yet. Most kids doodled in their journals, so there!

So when I say that my first love was the written word, you can take that as literal factual truth.

Fast forward to now. I turned 30, and finally, FINALLY got a book out into the light of day. It's over on Amazon right now. I spent 15 years writing it. It wasn't my first book, or even the only one I worked on for all that time. To be honest, I went through some serious trauma in that period of time. I went through a very long period of time where I worried I would never been able to string a sentence together again. I battle the demons of depression, anxiety and psychosis, and came out the other side with the desperate NEED to write.

And the all-important, all-consuming need to complete this book. The story wouldn't leave me alone. I had this feeling that once I completed my first book, it would get easier after that.

The feeling was validated. I finished my book. Got through the editing cycle. And then I wrote another. This last November, I completed the Novel Writing Challenge in only 15 days. (I ended up with a late start)

I'd like to tell my own story eventually. How, through all the mess my life dragged through, I still managed to meet that child-hood dream. That love never left me. Even when my writing was mangled from the medications, it still served to help me through it.

Needless to say, my personal experiences have made me a bit reclusive and anti-social. I'm trying to change that. So here I am, humbly submitting myself before this forum. Looking for acceptance and friendship. Looking to connect with other people maddened by the urge to pick up a pen and make the ink flow.

I admit - I don't understand how people sit and plot out a novel. The stories, for me, are always there. Always waiting for me to tell them. If I try to plan things out, I only end up a wreck as I try to reconcile what I've written with what I had planned to write.

Not to say that I haven't studied it. I have. Extensively. Always trying to better my writing.

I'm getting ready to enter the final editing cycle of my second AND third book. I have this growing urge to start on the next one that won't be contained anymore by the end of the week.

I also admit that I couldn't pick a primary genre when creating my account. I write a bit of everything. This first book is a bit of an urban fantasy. Part psychological thriller. With a more than generous splash of romance tossed into the mix. My second? A fantasy novel told in a western style. (As in Sergio Leone western. With swords. And dragons.) My third novel is a dramatic romance that develops between two women.

So picking a single PRIMARY genre is just impossible for me. I write the stories that come to my mind, and don't pay much attention to trying to fit them into peg holes. People will either like it or they won't. So far, I've been blessed to have an overwhelming support and love for my first novel, so maybe I'm doing something right. Now if only one of these enthusiastic readers would be so kind as to leave a proper review on Amazon!

I'm hoping this isn't a site where the acronym TL;DR gets tossed around, because then I am out of luck!

Thank you for your time

~~LA

A man called Valance likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Being writers we don't tend to use TLAs :)D ) so we'd probably say its too long and we didnt read it - except that it isn't and I did. Welcome to the forums

3. KH freak 813

KH freak 813 Member

Welcome! :superhello: