1. Terbus

Terbus Active Member

Currently Reading::
    To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini

Hello, I Am New

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Terbus, Jun 4, 2021.

Hello,
    I've been writing for about a decade now, the only in the last few years have my stories taken shape. I don't stick to one genre, preferring a mix of saga style high fantasy and historical fiction. I struggle with sitting down and working on one thing, but I think that's the fate of many writers. I want to get published someday, but need to finish and edit a manuscript I can be happy with before crossing that bridge. I have two high fantasy worlds I love deeply and have spent years developing; however, I have shelves both until I am finished with college and have time to fully devote myself to each world. Historical fiction requires less world-building, and I enjoy it just as much, so it's not been too difficult for me to shift my writing and began work on several different plots. Currently, I find myself caught between a standalone novel mixing survival/adventure, courtroom drama, and established romance and a quartet of mysteries set in England in 1919. I am trying to give both my attention, and I find moving between them keeps me focused and helps prevent writer's block. Anyway, I am looking forward to working with people here and getting advice and ideas I would not otherwise have.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Terbus,

Glad you decided to join us here. While there is less world building in historical fiction, there is often a lot of research involved to get the details right, which can be just as interesting as, say creating a SF universe.

Terry

3. Terbus

Terbus Active Member

To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini
    Tarry,
    Thank you for your welcome. I have found that research can prove more difficult then world-building in sci-fi or high fantasy. However, research for historical fiction requires less thought and more information then classic world-building. I think that's the trade off.

4. petra4

petra4 Active Member

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
    Hello Terbus and Welcome :)

5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Hello Terbus, I am old. :supercool:

Nice to meet you!