1. Jon7z

Jon7z Member

Hello, is this thing on?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jon7z, Jun 22, 2019.

Hi everyone,

It’s a lonely life being a writer. I’m sure you know that, being fellow writers and all. A forum like this attracts me like a bee to honey, or should that be a flower? I don’t have to talk to people and can communicate with you by my preferred medium - written word.

I attempted to write a novel 15 year ago but failed miserably to even get one chapter done. This time around I discovered books and online articles on writing craft that have really enlightened me on ‘how to’ such as the Snowflake method.

My first novel is sci-fantasy and I am about 120,000 words into it (and 2/3rds finished). The ultrabrief synopsis, if you’re interested, follows.

“A scientist bearing dangerous knowledge crash-lands onto a planet, where the fate of two kingdoms rests on a boy who must confront his greatest fears and his father’s evil to unlock his true potential.”

I retired from medical practice over 10 yrs ago, having worked as a psychiatrist. I then ran my own career coaching business after that but decided to stop that about a year ago to concentrate on fiction writing full-time. I live with my doctor wife and 2 teenagers in New Zealand.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  2. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Welcome :)

Yay, sci-fi!

Jon7z likes this.
  3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Hi Jon, and welcome to the forum. That's a pretty serious start to a novel! I'm sure you'll find this a welcoming and helpful place, so feel free to have a look around and join a discussion or seven. Once you've fulfilled your membership requirements (two weeks, twenty posts, and two critiques) you'll be able to post segments of your own work, if you so choose, for critique by other members. There are other rules, of course, so be sure to check out Forum Rules and New Member Quick Start to make sure you don't stumble against any of the ropes. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with me or one of the other members of the Mod Team.

Have fun!

jannert likes this.
  4. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Welcome, Jon7z!

I find some humour in this.

Lolly Inkstain, Jon7z and Maverick_nc like this.
  5. Jon7z

Jon7z Member

Yes, their has been much irony in my life.
    I might have to write a book about it one day.

Some Guy and Alan Aspie like this.
  6. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

What have been the most important or interesting areas of work, knowledge, professional skills... you have had in your career as psychiatrist?

Paradigms? Methods?

I'm not interested about pills or things like that, but intellectual tools, observation, interaction, seeing what is hard to see...

This question is a bit vague, but I hope you get my point.

7. Lolly Inkstain

Lolly Inkstain Member

You definitely should. I decided today that I shall use my creative writing training to finally start writing my memoirs. Hopefully they'll make people laugh more than cry.

Some Guy likes this.
  8. elfridaauston87

elfridaauston87 Banned

Welcome dear. I hope you will enjoy there.