1. natc

natc New Member

Hello...looking for a creative writing course

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by natc, May 19, 2009.

Hello all,

I apologise in advance if im in the wrong place, or the wrong forum all together!

I loved writing at school, writing poems and short stories and making little stories up in my head. I loved English Literature, reading shakespeare and poems and discussing what it all means etc etc...I would love to go on a course or a "get together" type scenario and do all this again! I have no idea where to go though. There is a creative writing course at our local college but they only run it every so often, and its not running again until September : ( I dont really want to do exams and go for A levels or anything, not just yet anyway, id just like to get back into it all. Im more interested in the creative writing side. I have no idea where to start, its like im scared to put pen to paper and write! As if what im going to write is going to be absolute rubbish and not worthy! Im completely out of practice. I just started reading properly again, i used to read books all the time at school. (im 25 now.) and feel my imagination coming back to life again.

Does anyone know where i can find a group, or a course? (im from West Yorkshire) There is a group at the local library, they read books and discuss them and write poetry, will look into that too.

Thanks, and sorry for babbling!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Nat C, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

For creative writing, a group environment can help you stay on track, and provide stimulation in terms of ideas and techniques. If you go for one-on-one instruction, you will get a very focused and personalized set of lessons and exercises, but you will be limited to that instructor's opinions. There are well-established guidelines for many aspects of writing, but different instructors will place more or less emphasis in different areas.

What we have here is a multitude of often conflicting opinions to sort through and try out. Ultimately, you will chart your own course, rather than having it set out before you.

So it depends on what you want. There is no curriculum here, but a lot of interaction.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Hi and welcome :)
    It's not the best time of year to find a course, unless you opt for the online variety but be very careful as they may not all be genuine. September could be the only time you will find something starting - have you looked into Adult Education courses too? The library will be your best source of information.

4. natc

natc New Member

Thank you for your replies : )