Tags:
  1. Itsybitsy

Itsybitsy New Member

Hello, nice to meet you all

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Itsybitsy, Feb 6, 2020.

I write children's picture books but can't draw to save my life. I have received a few rejections (ouch), and I have to admit, I am awful at introducing myself for would be publication (dreadful at 'blurb) too.
    I know I'm old fashioned but I am getting a bit tired of 'toilet/poo/wee books for young children.
    I am writing a bit later on in life, but I hope it's never too late.
    Can't wait to see all the writing here and meeting you all.

Alan Aspie and Steve Rivers like this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi there! I'm one of the forum moderators, and I want to offer you a very warm welcome to the forum. You sound like the kind of children's writer after my own heart. Toilet/poo/instructional books for young children probably have their place, but nobody enjoys being preached to, do they? No. Kids want a good story!

I'm a bit later on in life myself, although I don't write children's books. But I do remember some really good ones. I loved all the fairy and folk tales, the Mother Goose rhymes with the great illustrations, Uncle Wiggly (that dates me!) and quite a few other classics that appeared in the Little Golden Books in the USA. The Thornton W Burgess animal stories were a huge favourite as well. (I've lived in Scotland for nearly 34 years now, but I was born and brought up in Michigan.) In fact, I'm reading a collection by Howard Pyle's childrens' stories on my Kindle just now, that certainly takes me back. (How Boots Befooled the King, and other tales.)

I suppose what you should do is just write the stories, and look for somebody to help you illustrate them. I think that's quite common for children's books, actually. Separate author and illustrator.

Anyway, while you're getting started, please do read our introductory New Member Quick Start And also our Forum Rules These will help you get underway and will guide you through the process of getting settled in. If you encounter any problems, do feel free to contact me and I'll do what I can to help. Just click my (wise old) owl avatar, and 'start a conversation' with me.

Anyway, explore the threads, jump in when something interests you, and have fun. I saw one contribution you already made. However, do take a look underneath the post, and check the date it was made. It's perfectly okay to reply to any thread, no matter how old it is, but do be aware that posts which are 4 or 5 years old are out of date, and the writer has probably already solved the problem. (Or has dropped off the branch. :) ) I wouldn't want you to waste your efforts on something that's no longer relevant.

I really look forward to getting to know you, so don't be a stranger. Get to know us, and let us get to know you. And have fun.

Cheers for now,

Jan

3. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

That's the great thing about writing, isn't it? Age matters not. :)

I used to love drawing as a kid. Ah, too many things to write and not enough hours in the day.

Welcome to the forums though, Itsy!

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Love the name! Welcome!

5. Itsybitsy

Itsybitsy New Member

Hi Steve, thanks for the lovely welcome. If only I could draw as well as right (mind you though I’m not convinced I can do either)

6. Itsybitsy

Itsybitsy New Member

I think your name is great too

7. Itsybitsy

Itsybitsy New Member

Thank you Jan! What a wonderful wise owl you are. I actually live in the UK but grew up in Scotland so we have something in common. Yes I did read the forum rules et cetera before I actually posted. I hear by promise faithfully to behave myself at all times. I actually live in the UK but grew up in Scotland so we have something in common. Yes I did read the forum rules et cetera before I actually posted. I hereby promise faithfully to behave myself at all times.
    I don’t know what’s happening in the US at the moment, but here in the UK we seem to be inundated with book after book on the subject of poo and wee, I can just about get my head round a poo at the zoo but now we have stories about unicorn poo, dinosaur poo (even one that pooed a planet) etc, and frankly I am old fashioned enough to say it’s gross.
    Like you, I absolutely love the classics as did my own children, and as are my grandchildren.
    Anyway, thank you for the welcome Jan, and I will keep my eye open for responses to comments etc.

jannert likes this.