1. Jason King

Jason King New Member

Greetings

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jason King, Feb 4, 2020.

Dear, writers.

I am glad to have come across this forum and joined as a member.

I am trying to be a hobby writer who used to hate English classes in high school.

After many years, I am attempting to transfer my thoughts to a story to a book and manage to be readable by others.

I will browse through and learn more. I am sure I will have lots of questions.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Jason King

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Welcome! That's how I started, too! Initially, I even tried to sabotage my writing with outlandish corners to back myself into. FAIL.
    200+kw later, I'm still at it, in spite of myself! Never think it's not possible! Just be careful what you wish for. LOL :D

3. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

A good place to learn more is the Resources tab at the top of the screen, too. So don't forget to give that a perusal, Jason. Especially the video lectures on writing, there's a lot of good valuable info in there for novices and advanced folks alike. It'll certainly help you in the goal of transferring your thoughts to a readable book!

Welcome to the madhouse :)

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Jason! I'm one of the forum moderators, and want to welcome you to the forum.

I'm so sorry you hated English classes when you were young. Any particular reason? I do hope they didn't put you off reading, though. Reading is the best preparation for writing that I can think of. You pick up the flow of 'story' by osmosis, really, and find that even if you don't know how to diagram all the parts of a sentence, you will instinctively know when something doesn't sound right. And if you start to pay attention to how writers set up their stories, you'll find it much easier to set up your own.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about getting it wrong, when you start out. The important thing is to get started. Get stuff on the page (or the screen) that you can work with. A motto of mine is: Write Without Fear; Edit Without Mercy. Don't try to do both at the same time. You can later on, if that's how things work out, but I'd concentrate on just getting a story down there first. And you're not writing to please your English teacher, so go for broke. Write what YOU want to write, any way you want to. Once you've done that, we're here to help you knock it into shape, if that's needed.

Anyway, while you're getting settled in, please take the time to read our New Member Quick Start and our Forum Rules These will get you started and give you a picture of how we do things here.

This is also a useful link. It's a site map which can get you to your favourite bits of the forum quite quickly. I use it a lot, rather than the tab/menu setup at the top of the Community page.
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

If you encounter any problems getting started, let me know and I'll do what I can to help. Just click my owl avatar and 'start a conversation' with me.

Browse the forum, contribute to discussions, check out our contests ...just have fun getting to know us and letting us get to know you.

See you around the threads?

Cheers for now,

Jan