1. Birch Anderson

Birch Anderson Member

Hello, Nice to Meet You

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Birch Anderson, Sep 20, 2020.

Hello, everyone. I’m excited and rather anxious to start up an account here, and hopefully try to gather friendships and potentially a readership. I hope I can maintain a presence here; for some people, social anxiety just bleeds into the internet, and you’re afraid to communicate even with the safety net of anonymity.

I’ve been writing fiction and poetry since I was six years old, and at nearly thirty with having published nothing, I feel very unaccomplished and, frankly, worthless as a writer. I haven’t submitted to contests or zines or anything because I’m terrified of being rejected (in my head, one story being rejected means having my whole ambition as an author dismissed). The closest I’ve come is setting up an account on DeviantArt last year where I’ve put my less ambitious works. Unfortunately, the site has gone through some recent changes that have made it even more difficult for writers to be noticed.

I’m best at writing horror, dark fantasy, and tragic romance, though I’m not afraid to venture into other genres. I’ve lived in rural Minnesota my entire life, and I feel skilled with settings involving isolated small towns, forests, and lakes. I’m currently trying to publish several collections of short stories – after that, hopefully I can focus long enough to finish any of the novels I’ve begun on my computer. There is a long list of authors in whose footsteps I bumble, but at the forefront is Caitlin R. Kiernan.

I have very little self-confidence, and although I know it’s an ancient, if somewhat accurate, cliché for all artistic types to be moody and depressed, I’m hoping that involving myself with other writers will actually help.

r.ross, LostArtist and Steve Rivers like this.
  2. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

Well at least you can look at signing up here as a positive step in the right direction, Birch!
    You're guaranteed to get feedback for your work here, so it should help you build your confidence some in that regard.

Welcome to the forums!

Birch Anderson likes this.
  3. Kyle Phoenix

Kyle Phoenix Active Member

Welcome to the forums Birch. I hope you have a great time here.

I wouldn't worry about not getting published for now. After all, we all have to start somewhere. If you are writing regularly, you are at least learning the craft and probably having fun as well. In the end self-confidence comes down to knowing what you can and cannot do and trusting yourself through the process. It is practice is what gets us where we want to go in the end. :)

4. LostArtist

LostArtist Member

Welcome to the forums Birch.
    I am like you too, I am terrified of sharing my work too. What do people think, will I get hate, will no one be interested, will I get scammed by a dodgy publishing company, will people just think I am un-original?

Oh MY GOD so much stuff to worry about. but you are never going to know if you start doing it. As much as all the bad stuff might happen, none of the good stuff will happen eather if you never make that start.

I agree with you on social midea, I have been sceptical of social midea since Myspace. lost contact withy a lot of friends after giving up on facebook. But no one is going to know I exist unless I am out there in some copaccity, so I am taking baby steps into getting a bit of an online pressance. Baby steps being the key. I don't have to tell the world anything I don't have to, and what I want to do is share my stories, so I am going to start with that.

Hope you get on well here. everyone is very helpful and friendly, and I can't wait to see you eventually come out of your shell and show the world your wonderful stories.
    Here for help, comments and complements
    Lost
    t

5. r.ross

r.ross Member

Welcome! I'm new too, and so far this forum is brilliant. Really kind people!

6. Mana_Kawena

Mana_Kawena Member

Hi there Birch!

I recently migrated here like you after a wonderful 12 year ride myself, from over on DeviantArt, and I hope that we both find what we're looking for in a lively writer's forum to grow ourselves as writers and also contribute to helping each other out! Everyone here has at one point been where you are right now, unpublished and un-looked at, and at least a bit nervous of where to start. With a supportive community, I am sure that your dreams to break out and share your writing on a larger scale will happen :)

Best wishes and happy writing!