1. Zoe Jackson

Zoe Jackson New Member

New Person *waves frantically at all*

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Zoe Jackson, Mar 18, 2017.

Hello, I've never joined any type of forum before so this is very new to me.

I'm Zoe and I have been writing creatively since I was 11 and only now have I started to look at my work as something worthy maybe of someone else actually liking. I am at the moment writing my first novel and it's scary but I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would.

I'm excited to join this community to explore, learn and gain knowledge from other writers. I have really no idea what I do now but that's what's exciting right?

Peace & Love

Zoe

Stormburn and Fernando.C like this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Welcome aboard, Zoe! If this is your first forum, don't be afraid to lurk around and get a sense of how things work. Or jump right in, it's a friendly place and no one is going to take a swing at you if you accidentally bump into them while wandering about. What sort of novel are you working on?

3. Zoe Jackson

Zoe Jackson New Member

Thank you, the novel I am writing would fit definitely in the Dystopian genre whilst trying to stay out of the YA section.

4. Forinsyther

Forinsyther Member

Hey there, welcome to the forum! We have a little bit in common, I started writing at a young age too :) I didn't realise my work was worth anything until I started posting fanfictions (nothing dirty), people started writing reviews which was a big confidence booster. Have you let anyone read your work yet?

5. Zoe Jackson

Zoe Jackson New Member

Hi thank you, that's awesome only in the last couple of years have I gained the confidence to allow others to read my work, they were family members but I asked them for complete honesty. I have a couple of non family members who will be reading my first draft when it's finished though, I'm more excited than worried about that.

6. Forinsyther

Forinsyther Member

It makes sense to be excited about non family readers, while you ask them to be honest, there's always the feeling that they're sugar coating the feedback. But it feels so amazing when a stranger or friend reads your work and takes the time to tell you how much they liked it,it makes you feel like you've made something wonderful.

7. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

Hi Zoe and welcome to the forum :), I hope you're loving it so far. Yeah starting your first novel can be really scary. It's a huge undertaking but it's also really really rewarding. I mean the best way to actually improve as a writer is to write and what greater writing challenge than writing or attempting to write a full-length novel, rigth?

Incidentally that's how I started my writing journey as well. I was 18 or so and decided I wanted to write a novel - I've always been a huge bookworm, so going from 'loving to read books' to 'hey, what if I wrote one myself?' was a natural progression - I started writing just like that, without any experience whatsoever, never having written anything before. Not to mention I didn't have anyone to turn to for advice or help at the time. It was a daunting task but I'm glad I undertook it. I'm 25 now and looking back I'm amazed at how far I've come as a writer, though mind you I've still a long way to go.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on. Good luck with your novel, and once again welcome to the forum :D

8. Pcmulready

Pcmulready New Member

Zoe,

Welcome! I'm pretty New myself, but I think you'll fit in if you have "waves frantically at air" in your introduction :) Good luck with your novel! I love to talk writing, so you can message me any time (I write best highly caffeinated at 3:00 a.m, then edit the next day at school). Have a great day!

9. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

Welcome to the forum. Writing a novel can be a pretty daunting prospect at times. If you need specific help, or just encouragement, don't be afraid to ask.

10. MachineGryphon

MachineGryphon Member

Welcome. :) I'm pretty new myself and actually see a few parallels in our stories. I started writing around 11 or 12 myself and finished a couple of very silly short books, and am now working on my first novel as well after a long hiatus. Showing your work to people can be a scary prospect, especially when you hear your first critique and have to take it on board as best as you're able.
    My advice is to show it to as many as possible, especially those you know will speak to you objectively about it. The advice and suggestions will help you grow as a writer.

Either way, good luck and have fun. Looking forward to reading some of your work sometime.

11. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Welcome.

12. anasfalis

anasfalis Member

Welcome!

13. DeepInTrees

DeepInTrees New Member

Zoe, welcome! I also was amused with your intro title... nice use of imagery, ha! Here's to new inspiration, for both of us!