1. ContemplatingCyclist

ContemplatingCyclist New Member

Hello! Complete beginner from England.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ContemplatingCyclist, Jun 4, 2017.

I've always liked writing. Either using a pen or a keyboard. I just find it theraputic to put down lots of words! The problem I have is that I'm not too great at knowing what to put down. Usually it ends up being random rambling.

I decided to join the forum too look for inspiration, tips, and just general advice. I used to use Reddits WritingPrompts page, but it's all about aliens and time-travel and immortals. That's great! But it's nice to have more... normal prompts sometimes.

Perhaps that's because I've spent my life reading non-fiction. Usually autobiographies, mainly gangsters. I think I can remember all the fiction books I've read within the past 5 or so years.

The Wasp Factory drew me in with its dark and simple cover. I was curious and enjoyed most of the book. The ending wasn't really what I had been looking forward to. That was a couple of years ago.

Made to Kill. Again, the cover drew me in. I was in the library and the bright yellow cover kept staring at me. I avoided it, knowing I don't really enjoy fiction, but I couldn't help myself. It's a 50s Hollywood story about a robot PI who moonlights as a contract killer. It's a crazy book, but I loved every second.

At the minute I'm trying to read The Big Sleep. Adam Christopher (Made to Kill author) said he got inspiration from Raymond Chandler and the idea of an old-time detective is exactly my kind of book. I'm struggling to get through it though. I don't know if it's because of the old fashioned way it's written or because I keep getting distracted.

I got carried away writing this, woops! I was just enjoying typing.

Hello.

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Hello and welcome aboard. Pity you didn't like The Wasp Factory, but Banks is definitely not for everyone. As far as rambling goes, it's a lot better to be rambling and lose focus on your goal than it is to have a goal, a blank page and... nuthin'.

Trust me, I know both styles well.

But anyway, you've found a good spot, take a look around, read the rules, see how things work and relate around here, and I think you'll have a good time.

3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Greetings, welcome, and salutations to the Forum, Sir. :superhello:

Good luck with your works, and I will C-ya around the Forum. :supersmile:
    bang-head-on-keyboard.gif~c200.gif

4. Arktaurous34

Arktaurous34 Active Member

Hi ya @ContemplatingCyclist. Welcome to the forum :superhello:

5. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

Hi.

Glad to have another Raymond Chandler fan here, he was one of my inspirations. Looking forwards to seeing your contributions :)

6. Cobra3010

Cobra3010 Member

Welcome here, and hopefully, have a good time.

7. Sigma Zed

Sigma Zed Active Member

Hi!