1. Bingo

Bingo New Member

Howdy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bingo, Aug 19, 2016.

I always knew I enjoyed writing but only recently discovered how much it meant to me. Last fall I was on a solo bike tour in the north of Scotland and found, to my surprise, I enjoyed writing the group email to my family and friends every evening as much as I enjoyed the ride. Each day while pedaling along I looked at and experienced everything from the point of view of how I would describe it that evening in the email. I welcomed the cold rain or wind in the face because I was busy drinking in the experience and putting it to words as I lived it. Every hilltop vista, every unique personality I met became a chance to write. Admittedly, I love a little or maybe at times a lot of embellishment but the goal was to entertain and I was having a ball doing just that. Enough about soggy pedaling and exaggerated email tales. Seriously, do not blow the Haggis whistle when alone in the Highlands. If there was one of them shaggy beasts chasing me there were fifty! Quick little buggers they are! And Nessie, what a cutie! She get's a lot of bad press.

Malisky, Oscar Leigh and Freethesea like this.
  2. Freethesea

Freethesea Member

That's sounds like ALOT of embellishment actually. No wonder everyone enjoyed following you around on your biking journeys (metaphorically speaking). You spotted Nessie? How do you know Nessie was a she?

There were Haggis that chased you too? Oh wait. I think I just figured that one out. Hope you keep writing... I enjoyed your introduction!

Ciao and beannachd leat to you too.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Bingo

Bingo New Member

The introduction was the easy part. I must admit to being somewhat lost at this point. Once you made your introduction, what was your next step?
    Nessie. Yes, I figured someone would call me on that one. It is simple; to my ear, "her" voice sounded feminine. Thanks for the response.

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    You seem like quite the sweet individual, and most pleasant a person.

Too bad that I must now expose you to: bang-head-on-keyboard.gif~c200.gif The harshness of what a writer should expect. :supergrin:
    Though that is the ultimate rub and question: Does a writer abuse the keyboard, or does the keyboard abuse the writer?
    There in lies the mystery and answer. None shall never really know which...:superlaugh:

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. Bingo

Bingo New Member

Says the Cave Troll, standing over the village idiot.

Harsh? Yes. Although, I just choose to be happy. Good luck with your writing and from the looks of the graphic above, you may need to invest in another laptop and a bit of surgery. Or, a lot of surgery.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Freethesea

Freethesea Member

Bingo! Ok.

There appears to be a lot of experience AND wisdom floating around so don't give up yet!

This is a complicated but fairly safe domain for newbies such as us. Some topics are extremely helpful and if you discover that you're interested in a certain thread, you can mark it so you will be notified whenever a post is added on the subject.

Check out the New Member Guide and Information sections. If you still don't know what to do with yourself, visit the workshop where brave souls post their work for criticism. Quite entertaining and educational. Scary.

I also enjoy clicking what's new to see if there's any topics I can't live without.

Because I feel very unqualified to critique other works as yet, I've been spending some time welcoming confused new ones such as yourself.

Blind leading the blind, but at least it's something.

Cave Troll, everyone knows the answer to that.

7. Cave Troll

@Bingo Now that is no way to start off on. Firstly I highly doubt your an idiot. And secondly I stand over no one. So do try to be a tad more upbeat about yourself.

@Freethesea Careful now, you are working your way to winning the Leto Award.:supergrin:

(FYI+Spoiler: Leto as the Joker in Suicide Squad was really bad. Though he tried really hard to be funny/scary as he played the part. Also Ben Afflek as Batman:AKA Fatman) :supergrin:

Freethesea likes this.
  8. Freethesea

Freethesea Member

Okay.
    Scary sandbox newbie bully. But I like your honesty.

9. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Actually, a good number of viewers and critics felt he was good but underused. The whole cast is labelled "talented" on the Rotten Tomatoes page, it mostly seems to be the script that put people off. Anyway, there is some measure of personal opinion involved.

Freethesea likes this.
  10. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the madhouse! :D
    As you can see, we are a merry, eccentric bunch. All trying to leave therapy achieve writing greatness. Who knows who will succeed?
    Nice intro by the way! Loving your style! I think I'll keep you.
    Here's the guide that was mentioned earlier in case you haven't found it: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/new-member-quick-start-guide.132102/.
    And here's your lovely free uniform:
    Straightjacket for WritingForums.jpg
    Make sure to check in with your doctors talk to the administrators if you have any serious questions or problems! Have funsies!:blowkiss::blowkiss:

Malisky and Freethesea like this.
  11. Freethesea

Freethesea Member

Thanks for the support Oscar Leigh!

I think Leto tried his very best to fill a pair shoes that had already been bronzed by Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson.

Especially and eternally...Heath Ledger. He still holds the hearts of many and some believe it was his complete immersion into the Joker role that contributed to his death (me).

Had Leto been before Nicholson or Ledger, I believe he would have walked away with great reviews. He showed giant juevitos for accepting the challenge in the first place. But expecting that his execution of this role would be equal to Heath Ledger's? That would take one of those memory erasing thingys used in Men In Black. Heath was unforgettable and no one wants to replace his last incredible performance with anything less than the--impossible.

12. Cave Troll

@Oscar Leigh I know an actor can be good, but they cannot always be in their best role for their abilities. Even great actors have done bad performances.

@Freethesea I am not a bully, nor a sandbox. I just have my own sense of dark humor, but it is all in good fun. I was just having an opinion about something that I enjoy, and then when something doesn't work on a new and different project of that thing that I enjoy. I like to make light of how it has affected my perception of what I knew and understood about that which I enjoyed. So in a weird way using the things that let me down, a strange interpretation of a favorite character. Try to turn it into something that is more amusing to me. So I turned something I thought to be unfunny (Leto's Joker) and made it funny. Check out The Killing Joke, it is the backstory of how the Joker became the Joker. :)

Oscar Leigh and Freethesea like this.
  13. Freethesea

Freethesea Member

Well that was very sort-of clear and its relieving to hear you're not a sandbox bully.

I like funny. Funny makes the world go round. Funny soars like the eagles. Funny saves lives (if you can laugh really hard during a stroke your clot will probably dislodge). Funny extends life (read the statistics that have been altered by those clever report-manipulating comedians).

And admiring determined Wily shows you do indeed, have taste for dark humor. Dark, dark.

Its easy, when you have a strong voice and gift of cleverness, to be misunderstood. You're not a bully at all. Sorry for the insinuation. I would say I suck, but that would make it about me again.

I will check out The Killing Joke. Thanks.

14. Cave Troll

@Freethesea Damn glad to hear it friend. Also, the mind is a terrible thing to taste. :p

brainlick.jpg

Oscar Leigh and Freethesea like this.
  15. Bingo

Bingo New Member

Yee Ha! Not sure what ya'll are talk'n bout but...I just wanted to say Yee Ha, at 2:14 am. Earlier I thought I found my writer's voice. I read about that somewhere in all the writing about writing I have been downloading but not reading. Come to find out it was only a hairball. The disappointment was deep, though fleeting.
    Then I read about prompt's and that hairball became my prompt for this evening and resulted in, "That ain't Proper."

Freethesea, thanks for pointing out the resources. Cave Troll, thanks for the reality check. Where the hell did the brain come from? Rather Zombie like. Nevertheless, despite being creeped out, thanks for the conversation. I have to relook it all in the morning. I still am confused about who is saying what to whom.
    /////////
    "That ain't Proper."

The porch had seen better days. Paint was gone. For that matter, the entire house was bare of paint. But, it was still standing and that counted for something around these parts. Like the house and the porch, the two rocking chairs hadn't seen paint or a coat of varnish for as long as anyone could remember them sitting there, one on each side of the front door. And, unless you took the time to listen closely you couldn't tell which creaked more, the boards under the rockers or the rocking chairs themselves. They were, as always, occupied by the twins.

“What's e doin, Luke”?

“What's who doin”? Came the reply, as both rocking chairs paused for the moment of contemplation. “Oh...don't rightly know. But, that ain't proper.” The momentary silence broken as the creaking resumed. And like the rocking, never in sync. Some folks said it was a matter of the boy's pride that they never rocked in sync. Others said it was just pure orneriness to upset their older sister. The only one that did know was Buzz, the dog. But Buzz was old, currently dreaming of chasing rabbits behind Miller's pond, and was long past any concern for the matter.

The afternoon contemplation was soon to be disturbed. “You boys, inside now. Suppers ready. Your sister worked hard, so you'll eat everything on your plates. Now git.”

“Yes, ma'am. C'mon Buzz. Suppertime.”

“Not this time. Buzz stays on the porch. Your sister was madder than a badger last time. And I ain't hear'n talk bout accidents. On your plate or the floor. Your choice. But you will eat it. Now, git.”

“But ma. Meatloaf”!

“And we will be sixty next month”! Don't that count for someth'n”?

With a smile that betrayed the sternness in her voice, “Don't but ma, me. For twins, you don't have enough brains between you for one. And you're still my baby boys. Now, I said git.”

“Yes, ma'am.”

As the boys stood up and headed inside, mom surveyed the yard and street beyond, “Boys...what's he doin”?

“Scratch'n, ma'am,” replied the twins, not quite in unison, as they slipped one after the other into the house.

Catching the screen door before it could close behind the boys, “Why, that just ain't proper.”

I had to think hard about how to add to the conversation and honestly I was/am a bit intimidated. I am still learning about dialog and proper punctuation but obviously, that isn't stopping me. It does, from time to time lead to lot's of thinking, or rather, pondering. Yes, I am more of a ponderer than thinker. Pondering being less formal leads to scratching and well, this evening, by the time I was done, I had scratched all four cheeks and still couldn't think of something to write. Ah well, it's supper time. I hear there's meatloaf.