1. Kelazuris

Kelazuris New Member

Hello There!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kelazuris, Oct 9, 2021.

Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Jesse, a software consultant who enjoys amateur writing/story-telling in his free time.

My passion for creative writing began back in elementary school. I had a hobby of drawing out short comic books on index cards and printer paper. They were usually just giant mash-ups of my favorite superhero and videogame characters fighting in the never-ending war against an army of anthropomorphic dinosaurs. I had a giant green folder so overstuffed with these homemade comics, the staples fell out and the folder had to be held together by several pieces of tape.

I had a strong love for reading novels during high school. Stephen King was my go-to, I really enjoyed how his writing style felt simple to understand, yet was so vivid I could imagine entire cities in my mind. I really enjoy horror stories, mostly for the surrealism. I love anything bizarre, anything that I can't experience in the real world and yet can still see so vividly in my mind when I'm reading. I have a strong passion for the Welcome To Nightvale podcast by Jeffrey Cranor and Joseph Fink, and would highly recommend it to anyone with a taste for the strange, bizarre, and unbelievable.

I've dabbled in some short stories and poetry throughout the years, but never quite pursued my writing any more than just an occasional time-waster. My last time writing stories was a few years ago for a creative writing class I took back in college. The professor was particularly strict, had an unusual dislike for any fantasy stories, and was overall very repressive on what we were allowed to write. My final paper was a short story on an overworked, underpaid low-level corporate employee sabotaging his fellow co-workers in a company competition to win a paid vacation. It wasn't exactly a page-turner...

Fun fact: I took the SAT in high school and my lowest score was in writing! My essay scored horrendously low, though I never understood why. I'm going to show the world just what I'm capable of now >:)

I'm here looking to rekindle my passion for writing, read some cool works, meet some new people, and express myself. I look very forward to interacting with many of you. Please feel free to reach out for a chat any time!

2. QueenOfPlants

QueenOfPlants Definitely a hominid

Welcome! :)

Your former professor sounds stupid. We're much nicer here.
    I also think your co-worker competition story would be funny if it was set in a wizard academy and arson and necromancy were used in the sabotage efforts.

Kelazuris likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Greetings - quick tip, its not a great idea to use your real name as a screen name... if you want to change it let me know what to and i'll do it before you start getting established

4. petra4

petra4 Active Member

Currently Reading::
    A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
    Hi Jesse and Welcome,

Don’t hold a high opinion of the teaching profession so I understand where you’re coming from. Teachers in general have a curriculum and/or standard which they’re needing to follow. Outside of this, you run into negativity. Hence, some people don’t seem to further themselves in mainstream education, let alone University