1. allonsybadwolf

allonsybadwolf New Member

Hello and thank you!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by allonsybadwolf, Jul 9, 2014.

Hey everybody!

I'm 22, my name is Robin, and I'm from Oregon, USA. I've been writing for as long as I can remember, I think the first example I have is a terribly exciting series about my pet rock that I wrote when I was very, very young. My parents were huuuge hippies, so I grew up without TV or computers, which meant I had to fill my boredom with books.. and rocks and sticks and forcing my poor younger brother to dress up and act out all the parts in my stories.

I recently stumbled upon these forums while on another if I google stuff about writing, it's kind of like writing, right? procrastination binge.

I've been stuck with absolutely no progress for about a month now, which was feeling more and more terrible because I'm trying really hard to actually finish my book this time. I have, as I'm sure many of you do, so so many started and forgotten stories. But I have to finish one sometime, and I'm making it this one!

So last night I stumbled upon these forums and told myself that I wasn't allowed to look through them until I actually got something done, writing-wise. I ended up hammering out 2,000 words in just a few hours before heading out to bed! Finally, I've unstuck myself, HOORAY!

And for that I want to thank everyone on these forums for giving me the motivation to ignore the block and continue writing!

DLeo likes this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, @allonsybadwolf, and welcome to the forum! Please read the New Member Quick Start Guide, participate, and have fun!

Procrastination is a problem for many of us here (me included), so you'll find lots of company. We do a pretty good job of spurring each other along, though. :)

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Welcome to the forum! I'm also from Oregon. I lived there most of my life until I moved last summer. It's a beautiful state, and I'd like to go back one day. You're lucky to be living there. :)

4. allonsybadwolf

Thanks guys!

@thirdwind, where in Oregon did you live? I love it here, I don't think I'd ever be able to move permanently. I lived in California for a year, but it was just waaay too sunny for me!

5. thirdwind

Near Portland.

6. allonsybadwolf

Awesome! I was born in Opal Creek, raised in Eugene, and now currently residing in Portland :p

7. thirdwind

Nice. I was born and raised in Lake Oswego. If you ever get a chance, visit Powell's book store in Portland. It's the largest used book store in the world (or so they claim). You can find some amazing stuff there.

8. minstrel

I did a couple of projects for a company in Portland and had to go there to install them. That city has some GREAT local beer! It's stuffed with microbreweries and brewpubs. If you like beer, Portland should be your next vacation spot. :)

9. allonsybadwolf

@thirdwind, Lake Oswego! I actually lived in West Linn for a year when I moved up here, so I was over there a lot!

And Powell's - omg Powell's - I'd probably live there if they let me. I don't think I've bought books anywhere else for the past ten years!

@minstrel, where do you live? Beer, books, food, and music are the reason I live in Portland :) because seriously, the beer. So good.

thirdwind likes this.
  10. minstrel

I live in the cultural wasteland that is the San Fernando Valley, near Los Angeles. I'm eternally bored here.

I used to live in Victoria, BC - beautiful city with great beer of its own and some great used bookstores! Libraries! Universities! But I couldn't find a decent job there after a while, and a friend suggested I join his business here in SoCal. It gave me a living, but not a life. I'm heading back to Canada someday, or at least somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.

11. allonsybadwolf

My dad grew up around there! Before his family moved to Washington, at least. A bunch of my friends have been moving down near LA since finishing college, but I just couldn't bring myself to live there. I love the rain and the gray and the friendly people too much, haha.

12. minstrel

I hear you loud and clear. In addition to being a cultural wasteland, this area is a physical one, too. We're in the middle of a historic drought and I yearn for rain!

13. thirdwind

Reading this thread is making me homesick. :(

14. allonsybadwolf

There's just something about rain, it's very calming. I've never really spent much time in Canada. Actually, I think the only time I've been is when I was a kid visiting relatives in Michigan, we went on a day trip.

@thirdwind, I hope you get a chance to visit soon, then!

15. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Reading this thread is making me feel like I don't use enough exclamation marks!

16. allonsybadwolf

Oh man! Exclamation marks! They're just so exciting!

17. thirdwind

I did visit for a week back in May. Got to see my family and my girlfriend, which was nice. I'll probably have to wait till December to see them again. Such is the life of a student.

18. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum! I just had to say something to try and fit in since I've never been to Oregon or done anything west coast cool. :unsure:

I did live next to a huge hippie town called Yellowsprings, Ohio. It's where Dave Chappelle lives now and is home of Antioch College.

19. DLeo

DLeo Member

Welcome to the forums!!!! (!!) Your story is similar to my own - hippies, small Oregon towns and books. Yay hippies imo. And yay Oregon. And books. Hipookregon? o_O This is a great forum. Folks are nice, spots to hang out and be silly or sad, lots to read and really solid reviewers.