1. OrdinaryJoe

OrdinaryJoe Active Member

Hello to everyone.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OrdinaryJoe, May 24, 2009.

Hello:
    My name is Greg. I live in a small plot of dirt in the southeast of Georgia called Kingsland. It’s the black hole of the United States. Whenever you think you have hit escape velocity, it sucks you back in. Being in the midst of so many people that I have absolutely nothing in common with is not the most conducive environment to be creative in.
    To that end, it has taken me a long time to come to terms with the fact that I can only really express myself through writing. I guess it's the concealed nature of it. I am not a person here; I am just words on a page. The voice in your head as you read what I put down.
    Of course this does cause some problems, mainly the fact that I am in my own opinion a poor writer...
    (I am sure that over time some of you will agree with this statement)
    I am hoping to be able to improve my ability to convey thought, mood and feeling through writing. To that end I hope to suffer from the slings and arrows of everyone here in order to better myself. I can also offer my own brand of criticism. I hope that none will find it overly abrasive. All I ask of anyone that reads anything that I have to write is: Be honest with your opinion. It will not hurt my feelings…too much.
    I am grammatically challenged, meaning I have a lot to learn about said topic. I usually have no clue where to put one of these ; or one of these , so try not to be too shocked when they come up missing or misplaced. They are just lost and need to find their homes. So, if you can point them in the right direction I’ll see that they get there.
    I hope that anyone who takes the time to read anything I write will enjoy at least some of it.
    I can be long winded and I guess that is something that I will have to work on as well.
    Looking forward to reading what others write here almost as much as I am excited about having a place to dialogue with other people who enjoy writing.
    I do have my own blog that I just started so if you would like to check that out I think the link is in my profile. If not, send me a message and I will respond with the link.
    Thanks for reading.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Greg, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

I have to assume you never have been to Cleveland.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Anir

Anir New Member

In a place where the forces of space and time have
    Welcome, Greg. I completely understand your situation. Sometimes I feel no one has anything in common with me and the only escape I have is writing. I hope you feel at home here.

4. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Hi Greg, trust me, I don't like where I live either and my environment does not help my creative habits at all.(sometimes it helps to pack up the laptop or the notebook, go fro a stroll to a park or someplace quiet, and plop down to jot down some free flowing stuff. A change of scenery is good for that, sometimes I just watch and listen to people and get my material)

From what I read you sound very intelligent, seem to be an above avergae writer, and not nearly as grammatically challenged as I. I hope that in time you will find it in your heart to agree with me:p

Oh, and welcome to the forum, I think that you will fit right in here. We are all pretty friendly folk and there's not too much harshness here. I would be glad to critique your work when you start postng, I post mostly Science fiction and Fantasy, but I write pulp fiction stuff too (I dont like to limit my art, neither should you).

Just make sure to keep writing critiques of other peoples' work, thats how you build up credit to post your own work here. I think it's a good idea, it forces us to constantly review.

See you 'round.

5. JayumsD

JayumsD New Member

Hello greg and welcome to the forum :) You leave a good impression and I look forward to seeing you and your work around the forum in the future.

I have to agree with that, I have a few places I like to go to write or come up with ideas, and going between them all so my surroundings are different somehow keeps me inspired.