1. asknwunderen

asknwunderen New Member

A Flash of Inspiration

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by asknwunderen, Aug 28, 2010.

I was reading the newspaper and came across an article where the entire wedding party was arrested at the alter for being involved in a fake wedding scam! The newspaper stated ''...the couple looked shocked...", when agents jumped out of the vestery at a church in Tilbury and started arresting people. I thought it would be fun to trade scenarios of that scene and the build-up to the wedding that wasn't meant to be with a creative writing group... but I no longer have one... that's how I ended up looking online and found this site.

Actually, I sometimes re-write 3 or more headline news stories and try to weave them together with somewhat plausible plot-points just to stay in practise... Here's an example for anyone interested. Can you create a short story of say 500 words or less combining these three stories in the news:

*The spy found murdered in his London home
    *The former Russian spy turned model
    *The UK Border agents crashing the sham wedding of a shady character

I like to write and hope to find a few people that like writing too... :)

2. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Hello and welcome :D

3. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Everyone here likes writing. :p I use that technique too sometimes using newspaper stories in my writing. Also, welcome. :)

4. asknwunderen

asknwunderen New Member

I was walking through flower gardens at a local park yesterday when grey clouds suddenly covered the sunshine and I felt sad as I watched the roses. I recalled bits of a poetic idea that I've long since forgotten about (I once had a notebook to jot down these things)... There were extensive rose gardens in the park... I felt like one of those roses in full bloom, lazing under a warm sun, only vaguely aware of the chill winds creeping in with the Autumn. My boyfriend is a no-nonsense businessman who doesn't understand slightly teary women lost in thought... staring at roses. But one of us has to be a reality sort of thinker I suppose... :)

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Askn, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

6. asknwunderen

asknwunderen New Member

okay... let's be crystal

I'm not sure what you're on about or why you felt it necessary to send this to me here rather than a private email. I don't have the slightest interest in having my writing exercises published. I haven't posted any of my published or unpublished work. I was just looking for like-minded people that enjoy writing and exchanging creative ideas. If you want to carry on with this conversation I'm more than up for it, but it would be better in private.

7. Zane

Zane New Member

Welcome :)

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

askn...

no need to take umbrage at cog, who's our major-mod here and the best on the net... that's simply his standard welcome and info he offers just about all new members...

love and welcoming hugs, maia