Tags:
  1. Ryan J

Ryan J New Member

Hello, Writers!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ryan J, Nov 8, 2017.

Hi there,
    This is my first time joining a writing forum. I have desired to write for years, and dreamt about writing fantasy stories since I read The Hobbit in middle school.

Curiously, my first attempt at writing - outside of a school assignment - is a collection of short stories from my military experiences. Last month, I pledged to myself that I would build an outline, and begin work to add flesh to the bones of my military memoir outline. Over the past month I've actually pushed myself to accomplish more than I had ever anticipated; so far I have 40,000+ words.

Besides the writing stuff, I have been happily married for twelve years, and we have a daughter in elementary school. I am busy with training and travel while serving active duty in the US military, and at the same time working on college classes.

I look forward to learning a lot here from reading various styles, genres, critiques of other people's works, and hopefully critiques of my own work later on.

Respectfully,
    Ryan J

Seven Crowns likes this.
  2. Mrs.Smith

Mrs.Smith Member

Hi Ryan,
    I just joined too, for similar reasons. This isn't my first stint at writing - have written a couple of fiction manuscripts in the past but either got bored with or couldn't nail down an ending that satisfied. I have a new project that I feel good about, though I'm not anywhere near as far along as you but I've done things a lot differently this time and feel pretty confident that I'll actually finish it.

On my list of future projects is to put into words my other half's 20 year Army career. He's warming up to the idea. :) As I'm sure you know, there's a lot that can't go into it, which can present a challenge.
    Good luck with your writing. Feel free to reach out if you want to brainstorm or get stuck or just want to chat.

Amy