1. Yes

100.0%
  2. Nope, the door is over there

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Parker

James Parker New Member

Apprehensive

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by James Parker, Feb 13, 2020.

Hello one and all,

I am only beginning my writing journey. I have always had a desire to write. In the past I have written some poems, and records of events that have been received very well. I just signed up to a creative writing course. I must say, I am really enjoying it. My mind is full of ideas of poems and short stories that I want to compose. However, I am taking it slowly, I just registered with this site this morning. I am currently aware of my own insecurities with my mind telling me I am not good enough to be here. But I am here in humility to learn. I hope in the process of learning, I am able to offer something back.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Where there's a will, there's a way, wot wot. ;) Welcome to the forum. It's a mixed lot here in many regards. Neither too USA nor too UK, not too left, not too right, not too blue, not too red, and the ones that come in all full of themselves soon learn that that's just not on. ;)

It's a strongly novels and short stories community, but there's some of everything with respect to genre and kinds of writing. The Workshop has a 2-for-1 paradigm running. Whenever you squirrel up the courage to present your work for crit, you must give two crits for every new item you post of your own. That's what keeps the wheels turning in there, else it stalls as everyone leans back and waits.

Hope you enjoy. :)

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  3. James Parker

James Parker New Member

Sounds like a deal, as I said I am currently on this diploma for writing, I am critiquing A Day in the life of a Tramp by Orwell, its helping me with my analysis and my writing, I look forward to partaking in the workshops.

4. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

Imposter syndrome is something everyone suffers at some point, so keep that in mind, James :)

There are people at the top of their field in many walks of life who suffer from it; there's even one TED talk I watched once when a guy who had been winning a lifetime achievement award still said he suffered from it. So you're in the same boat as a lot of us down here in the depths of starting-outs-ville. :)

I'm only beginning to lose my sense of it now after i'm 3/4s through my first novel and I get ever-more pleased with how it's turning out. The more you learn, the more confidence in the tools you have at your disposal. So for me it's always about learning those tools.

5. James Parker

James Parker New Member

Thanks Steve, thankfully it was only a fleeting thought, I suppose thats because I am hoping to write mostly for myself. Thanks for the reply.

Steve Rivers likes this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi James - I'm one of the forum moderators here, and I want to extend a warm welcome to you. I hope you do find a community here that is supportive and helpful. We come in all shapes, sizes, ages, come from various different backgrounds and nations, and have varying (and developing) skills as writers and success stories to tell. In short ...you'll fit in fine!

As you're getting to know us and finding your feet, please do take the time to read these two links, which will let you know more about how the forum operates, what's available here, and what our perimeters are.

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

Here are a few more links you might find helpful:

https://www.writingforums.org/faq/
    This isn't Frequently Asked Questions, despite its designation. Rather, it's a site map that will link you quickly to all areas of the forum.

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/
    As Wreybies said, above, if you want to place any of your work in our Workshop area for feedback (and it's the only place on the forum where you are permitted to post your work for feedback) you will need to do at least two critiques for each item of your own that you post. This link gives you a good idea of what our critiques are like. Please feel free to start browsing the Workshop and doing critiques. Not only will you build up a backlog, but figuring out why you like or don't like something about another person's writing will help you to understand your own strengths and shortcomings as a writer. So give it a go?

https://www.writingforums.org/writing-contests/
    We have three contests going more or less all the time, in Short Stories, Poetry and Flash Fiction. You can not only enter any of them as a new member (the entries are anonymous until after the voting is over) but you are encouraged to read the entries and vote. People really do appreciate getting votes! And the standard of entries is quite high, in my opinion. So have fun with these!

If you encounter any difficulties getting settled in, don't hesitate to contact me. Just click my owl avatar, 'start a conversation' with me, and I'll do my best to help.

Meanwhile, I look forward to seeing you around the threads. :)

Cheers for now,
    Jan

7. James Parker

James Parker New Member

Thanks Jan, I am working through my own stuff at the minute. Enjoying the journey and will offer my thoughts when I feel I can, I am in no hurry to publish anything, thats not why I am writing. It’s a very personal thing, I am excited to be here and share the adventure.

jannert likes this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I love your avatar, by the way... :)