1. H. Antler

H. Antler Member

Amateur here says hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by H. Antler, Nov 13, 2019.

I work in video games and have worked on special effects earlier. I have had some interest in writing for quite some time - read some screenwriting books in the early 2000s and once in a while something new. I just re-read Invisible Ink which I like a lot. I recently also read War of Art and Turning Pro which both resonate a lot - on my daily visual work too.

I am not an English speaker so my language is often clumsy and I am a lousy typer too with horrible number of typos. And my interest has always been more in the story structure, plot etc. rather than in the beatiful wording. I have practically no literature education - what I have had was in another language so it's a bit of lost art to me.

I came here as I started writing an erotic short story for fun. I know it's kind of a lame way to start but I have a purpose for it and I am not taking it awfully seriously.

I have no high ambitions right now, just developing skills would be nice. I am dreaming of creating my own game one day and I think writing is a good and cheap way to develop some of those ideas.

Genre wise I am not a fanatic but do like science fiction ideas and some fantasy. As long as it's not all about gadgets, swords or spells.

Cheers.
    H.

Tralala and Some Guy like this.
  2. Tralala

Tralala Active Member

Hi H. I don't know much about... well... any of those things. But I can say hello. Hope you find it interesting here.

3. J Chris

J Chris Member

Hi Antler. I wouldn't have been able to tell that English was not your first language.

Tralala likes this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hello H Antler! :)

I'm one of the forum moderators, and I want to personally welcome you to the forum.

I think you will find many people here who are interested in gaming, and writing for games. It's not my speciality and my own game playing is with very old-fashioned timewasters (things like MahJongg and Solitaire, with an occasional foray into Tetris and Lemmings—be still my heart!), but I know I've seen lots of threads about advanced role-playing games. And there are many members who write other things, but love to PLAY the games, and will probably have opinions on what works and what doesn't. I was just interacting with a member yesterday who has just begun playing RDR2, which my husband finished playing a few months ago. So game players are everywhere here.

As you are getting started, please take the time to read these two links, if you haven't already. They will keep you on track as far as our forum's purpose and method of operation goes.

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

And I've found this link to be very helpful when navigating the forum. There is a lot under the hood here, and this will give you more of a picture of what's available than simply the menu tabs at the top of the Community page.

https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

Take your time to settle in and get to know us, and let us get to know you. If you encounter any problems settling in, please contact me via a 'conversation' (or any of the other active mods ...at the moment, that's Big Soft Moose and Iain Aschendale) and we'll do our best to help you.

Have fun! See you around the threads.

Cheers,

Jan

5. H. Antler

H. Antler Member

Thanks Jan, I did read those links from another "hello" - thread