1. Vytas

Vytas New Member

Welcome...me

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Vytas, May 13, 2015.

Hello,

Years ago I was an active, and not too terrible, member of Zoetrope.com. But now I can't seem to get them to respond, or the technology isn't working or whatever. So I'm here. If nothing else, this gives me the opportunity to recycle old stories with a new audience! I don't think I'm too bad, but I really want to get better, so if you read one of my pieces, please be honest. I can take it. I might disagree, but I can take it. I'm very much looking forward to being part of this community.

I also hope I can give intelligent and useful feedback to your work. I think I have succeeded in that endeavor in the past.

My short stories are reality, character, mood based pieces. There are no special effects or shocking surprises. They are...quiet. But hopefully not too boring. That's for you to say.

About me, as if you care: I'm a 50 year old married guy with two kids. I've run 15 marathons. I have thousands of old baseball cards. I am an Administrative Law Judge in Washington, DC, but should be a teacher or singer. (Or writer? Probably not.) I am much funnier than my stories would indicate. I wear a long burgundy cloak in the winter and a purple boler hat in the summer. I have one ear pierced and one tattoo of the the logo for the non-profit I worked for for twenty years. I have a cat and a dog. I wear a pocket watch. I like Kurt Vonnegut, Lyle Lovett, and David Letterman. I like much of the same music my daughters like. Enough? I'm thinking too much. But I typed it all, so I'm not going to go back and erase it. Did I mention that I am verbose? Oh, and, at 17, I picked my own first two names.

Ok, I have to go hear food stamps cases now. I shall start reviewing stories shortly.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Vytas Varekojis Vergeer

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Welcome, Vytas!
    Quite an interesting name you've got. May I ask wherefrom it comes?

Before you dive into the ocean of threads and discussions, take a moment to read through our New Member Guide. It should get you going around here.

Have fun, and good luck with the food stamps! :)

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi, welcome to the forum. :)

4. Vytas

Vytas New Member

Thanks. Well, ok. Here goes. Shortish version. I was born John Varis Vergeer. Hated it. My father, John, also hated his name. Six Johns in my chemistry class junior year of high school. That's enough of that. I went on a canoe trip with a few friends and many strangers. I told them my name was Vytas -- shortened version of Vytautas, the first Grand Duke of Lithuania. I liked it. All senior year, I went by Vytas. My mother, born in Lithuania, also liked it. A month before my 18th birthday, I had my name legally changed, lengthening the middle name out to its original Varekojis ("copper leg" -- dunno where that came from). I swear that on the huge crowded elevator in the courthouse right after my name was legally Vytas Varekojis Vergeer, a guy behind me said, "Hey, John," and two guys next to me turned around. The rest is just fun history. I was registered for the draft twice. I had to sign my bank card three times. My AP English teacher called me any word beginning with a V for the entire year. But it's my name, and I love it. Thanks for asking.

Oh, and I've perused the new member guide.

v3

KaTrian and Komposten like this.
  5. Vytas

Vytas New Member

Thanks. Is replying just a cheap way to get 20 posts? Because I'm all about beating the system. ;-)

v3

6. UpstateWriter

UpstateWriter Member

Good to know you. I'll be following you along on the forum.

7. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome! :)

You can become a supporter. The ultimate way to beat the system. ;)

Komposten likes this.
  8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.