1. Tower_Knight

Tower_Knight New Member

Here to learn and improve.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tower_Knight, Oct 4, 2015.

Greetings! I am a complete beginner when it comes to writing for enjoyment. I've mostly hated writing because it was always forced upon me; and those forced assignments were almost always argumentative or expository. I do not particularly like to argue, nor explain things to people who already know the answer.

There is a lack of self-confidence when it comes to most things in my life; however, the single thing I am confident in, is my ability to imagine, or my creative ability. I would say I have at least three fictional worlds that live in my head. On top of that is many ideas for simple stories. What shall I do with all of this? I have no idea. Many of them seemed like they would make great movies or comic books. The problem with that is my lack of artistic ability. What other way could I possibly express my creativity? Writing was all I could think of.

This is might be my next futile obsession. It might not. But even if it is, it can probably improve some aspect of my life.

Now, where should I start? Just by writing stories? Blogs? I want to learn how to become a better writer.

2. varus

varus New Member

Read! Read! Read! as widely as you can, everything including the classics and the Bible (great prose/poetry) and as sure as day follows night (we hope!) ideas will flow.
    Get into the habit of writing most days, even if you are not happy with what you have written-keep going!
    Being a writer isn't merely about writing but perseverance!
    Happy productive writing

3. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

1. Read extensively in the genre you plan to write.
    2. Research, brainstorm, outline.
    3. Write (almost) every day.
    4. Seek out constructive feedback. Our flaws are often invisible to us, but they stand out to others.
    5. Revise, revise, revise.
    6. Proofread carefully.

4. Aidan Stern

Aidan Stern Active Member

Hello, I am pretty new too. I joined Wednesday. I think you'll have much fun and receive much inspiration and encouragement here.