1. Lind Odessa

Lind Odessa New Member

Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lind Odessa, Apr 5, 2016.

Hello everyone, I'm Duncan. Nice to meet you! I'm a sophomore studying physics and philosophy at Montana State University originally from the Seattle area.

I used to write back in high school but fell off the wagon once I got to college. Recently I have decided to make the effort to get back into my writing and a friend was kind enough to recommend this site.

I'm looking forward to being a part of this community and can't wait to jump in!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Hello Lind.

A potential physicist, philosopher and writer. I hope you do very well in all three for then I'll have something brill to read.

Regarding the first two in the above list, I've oft wondered how physicists and philosophers would get on? What does one part of you think of the other and vice versa? ;-)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Lind Odessa

Lind Odessa New Member

Hopefully I'll get something finished so you'll have the chance to read it! As for your question, the two actually dovetail quite a bit. The logical thinking developed in philosophy definitely helps nurture the problem solving skills required for physics. On the flip side, different problems in physics (such as string theory) are almost more philosophical than scientific in nature due to their inability to be empirically proven. All in all I think they go together nicely.

4. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Oh my god, my brother would love you.
    Welcome!! I hope you do jump in. That way I can hold you under so you can't get back out. :D