1. ClaraCoatup

ClaraCoatup Member

Hello and happy writing, everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ClaraCoatup, Oct 18, 2016.

Hi,

I have been reading some interesting poetry in this forum. There are very talented poets here! Actually, I registered thinking I'd found the right site to critique poetry that someone told me about on Linkedin. Now, I'm thinking this isn't the site, but I've enjoyed reading and commenting on poetry in the workshop, so maybe it was serendipitous more than accidental. Who knows?

I started submitting poetry 3.5 years ago and have been published enough times to believe I'm no longer a novice, yet have lots to learn. I also write essays, though not as many. Last month I was informed I was a finalist in a national creative nonfiction contest. What I appreciated so much was they told me how they thought I should develop my piece and invited me to resubmit next year. I probably won't work on that piece anymore, but who knows. It felt finished even if not prize-winning calibre.

I mainly write about what I care about. I do not write political poems. Presently, I've written a nature poem that I like a lot and would like to get better at writing in that genre. There is so much to say about nature or even to simply weave into other pieces that aren't specifically about nature. I also write about my dogs. Yes, I'm a dog person. Oh well, what can I say. I do believe in the Rainbow Bridge.

So, I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you and hope to make, if not many, some friends here. I'm an introvert. Looking forward to hearing from some of you.

Love, peace, and hugs,
    CC

2. ThistleMae

ThistleMae Member

Welcome. I used to write poetry a long time ago. I'm now writing fiction novels, but may take time to look back at my work. I've entered the Writer's Digest Contest for short horror stories. Who knows? I've just started submitting queries for my third novel, and rewriting my second. It's great you've gotten published. It's my dream, and I just keep at it. I like this site so far, it's helped me polish my work. And...there are times it feels like a lot of work--but I love it!

ClaraCoatup likes this.
  3. ClaraCoatup

ClaraCoatup Member

Thank you ThistleMae. You are the first person I have "officially met" on this forum. Fantastic about having written two or three novels! A friend has taken off work to finish writing her first novel, so I admire you both. Have you been to Transylvania? My sister-in-law has been there a couple of times and had interesting comments about the place. Transylvania is beautiful, she says, so maybe not just for writers/researchers interested in vampires. Do you have those in your short horror stories? Very encouraging that you have gotten help polishing your work here. I hope to get help in that area, as well.

4. ThistleMae

ThistleMae Member

Hi again! Going to Transylvania would be really cool. My first novel's main characters are vampires. Going back over my old stuff, I see how much I've improved, so I'm doing rewrites now. I don't even remember everything I wrote, so it's like reading a new book. I remember the characters but not the details. I'm taking a break this weekend, we are doing scary Halloween stuff, seeing a play and visiting family. But when I first wake up in the morning, I think about my next scene. It will be good to chat sometime, compare notes and encourage one another. Carry on!

ClaraCoatup likes this.
  5. ClaraCoatup

ClaraCoatup Member

Yes, indeed. Comparing notes and encouraging each other is good! I have noticed the same about coming back to, in my case poems or essays, after some time has passed, and I have been able to revise/craft some of them into pieces that have been published. Apparently, time is our friend in that regard. Have fun this weekend with scary Halloween stuff!