Tags:
  1. zw82f4c

zw82f4c New Member

Hello from London!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by zw82f4c, Jul 7, 2017.

Hello,

I've battled, and still am, with the urge to write but my lack of confidence and the inability to concentrate on one thing for more than 2 weeks always stops me dead.

I can single write scenes quite well but I can't seem to do anything with a story line; beginning and end.

I'm currently reading 'The anatomy of Story: 22 steps to becoming a master story teller' by John Truby.
    I'm on the 4th chapter I think and it's getting rather complicated - slash boring (plus my concentration levels are low with this book).

I love writing. But I wish the research and building of characters, world, plot, theme etc was a tad quicker/easier* (*delete as appropriate).

Anyway, hello everyone!

Z

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Welcome sir. :superhello:

Rule#1 You have to write, a lot.
    Sure their are more rules, but
    that is the main one you need
    to work on.

Good luck, and hit the keys. :supersmile:
    BatmanQuitProcrastination.jpg

3. zw82f4c

zw82f4c New Member

Cheers Cave
    Yes, I should write more, even if it's just a scene!

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. zw82f4c

zw82f4c New Member

Just realised I joined here Jan 2016 and I've only just posted my first post! See what I mean about concentration span!!

5. morning_lightning

morning_lightning Member

totally understand, i'm a little adhd, very hard for me to concentrate on building my novel- i'm very good at the beginning and end, but can't ever seem to write the middle- but still holding out hope!!

6. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

Fellow London resident here, hello!

Personally, I love developing the world and characters, it's getting past the middle and creating a full-length novel I have trouble with, doesn't help that I'm my own worst critic XD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Write-Novel-Mistakes-avoid-Costs-Ever-Published/0141038543/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499593581&sr=8-1&keywords=how+not+to+write+a+novel

This book is sarcastic as heck and definitely nowhere near as dry as some textbooks.

7. Charles Gull

Charles Gull Active Member

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I was born and raised in London but am now living far far away.

From everything I have read and researched about writing I think I can safely say that everyone does it in a very personal way.

Some start with structure, some with energy and some with 3 trillion post it notes with one liners on them.

My advice is, f you tend to the short burst / post it note end of the scale then that's fine. Just write MORE in this way. Write just 1000 words every day. If you can manage 2 or more that's even better. The important point is that you do it every day. It doesn't all have to be related. Each day can be a piece of writing about a completely different idea or inspiration. Just keep at it 1k+ words every day. Bang, bang, bang. Once you have developed this habit you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll generate a base from which to build your story/book. The bigger picture will begin to gel and then you should be able to slowly focus in. Just 1k+ EVERY day.

This is NOT the way I do it myself. I am a thoughtful strategist that lays everything out in detail before I start on the story proper. The point is that's just me and I'm not you. Furthermore, I haven't finished any books yet either.o_O

S A Lee likes this.
  8. zw82f4c

zw82f4c New Member

Charles, I've started so many stories & scripts it's crazy. I can't plan and strategise like you because I get bored of the planning. If I can try and pinpoint my basic structure, I.e. What is the main characters issue / what's holding him back from life, where does he end up at the end of the book and what is he after, what's his goal then I can wing the rest (this is a new technique I've learned through reading a couple of writing books so late - I just took some great pointers from them and mounded it into my style of writing).

I don't write every day, as I like to do other things also (photography and sketching) - my sever lack of concentration disallows me to solely stick to one interest.

Many thanks for your reply! I'm currently writing the 2nd episode of a web series I'm writing for my blog, whilst also working on my first novella. I am DETERMINED to see both through to the end, even if they end really bad and turn out awfully. At least I can say I've finished something and then start something new with a fresh blueprint.