Tags:
  1. chtrbl

chtrbl New Member

Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chtrbl, Oct 27, 2017.

Hi. I have been looking for a writing community for a while and I kept coming back to this site every time I searched. So I finally made an account and here I am.

I am currently writing a fanfic, I wont be posting it here and I'm not sure if I will ever post it, but it's taking up my every thought and I love it so far. I expect it to be around 100k words... fingers crossed. I'm pretty self-conscious about my writing and I'm a huge perfectionist, so I doubt I'll ever release anything I write. But it's still nice to interact with other writers and get/give advice.

Anyway, I don't really have a list of authors I like, but I am a huge fan of Haruki Murakami (I'm currently reading 1Q84 and I'm pretty sure it's my favourite book so far). I have American Psycho (by Bret Easton Ellis) on my to-read list, and my English Literature class is reading Small Island (by Andrea Levy) right now, so I'm working my way through that slowly.

It's nice to meet you all. I hope to make some friends through this site!

2. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forum. But you'll have to lay that perfectionist streak aside, because it will get the the way of your maturing as a writer. As Voltaire said (although in slightly different words), "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Rather, take to heart what writers like Vonnegut and Hemingway have said; they were quite aware that the stuff they gave to their publishers wasn't perfect -- in some cases, they didn't even think it was very good -- but they let the publishers and readers be the judges. If they hadn't done that, we would have been deprived of some of the best writing of the twentieth century.

chtrbl likes this.