Tags:
  1. Kristin James

Kristin James Banned

Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kristin James, Aug 23, 2018.

Hello everyone, I have decided to join this forum after finding other places a little boring, or too 'young', for me, including Wattpad, where I had limited success with my WIPs. My name is Kristy, though my primary penname is Kristin James (not the Kristin James of massive success, mind), so you can call me either. I write romance, PNR, and I'm currently very smitten with historical fantasy and erotica, though I've yet to find erotica that I like, so I just write it as I'd like to read it.
    It would be so cool to meet some wonderful people who also write in these genres, but I would love to making writing friends anyway! :) Currently, I only have four books published, and I was set to publish 10 this year, but there were lots of issues along the way which meant I have only just picked up the metaphorical pen again.
    Glad to be here, folks!

2. ReproveTheCurlew

ReproveTheCurlew Active Member

Hi and welcome :) what do you mean by too 'young'? Immature? Not developed enough? Not enough feedback? If the latter is the case, I don't think any writing forum will satisfy you completely; what you'd need would be dedicated beta readers or a writing group whom you work with. The general quality of feedback here is very good in the prose sections; less elaborate in the poetry section, but everyone is very kind, so I hope you'll at least enjoy it ;)

One thing: 'only' four books published? And you were planning ten?!

Kristin James likes this.
  3. Kristin James

Kristin James Banned

As in, the ages of 11-14, not old enough to read half the things I write, and deeeefinitely not old enough to understand some of the things I do (well, I had a critique saying that they were 15, and that they knew from experience that at the age of 22, nobody could own a home or get a mortgage and that my story just wasn't believable. Yeah...), so I am hoping to get some insight and meet likeminded writers here!

Yeah, only four out, which... well, I'm not impressed that I let myself slack this year! Last year I was averaging a book published every month, and finishing books twice a month, just with my editor taking her sweet time, moving house this year (and moving again next Friday) and tons of other stuff, I've sort of fallen behind of my personal goals!

ReproveTheCurlew likes this.
  4. ReproveTheCurlew

Ah right, so they were literally too young :p wouldn't necessarily throw their advice out of the window though; they're quite right saying that nobody can afford a home/mortgage at 22 unless they're unbelievably privileged... but of course, it can happen. We'll see when you start posting some of your material here; I can hardly judge prematurely :) I think the age range here is quite varied from young teens to slightly older teens of 60+, so you'll probably get a good range of advice. Best of luck!

My point about your novels was that four at 20 is quite a load, and writing ten a year even more so. I'm happy I got one draft together; and never forget good ol' James Joyce who famously called it a good day when he got two sentences onto paper... but if you do have the time & financial stability to work as you do, then feel free to set your sails at whatever course you'd like - just watch out where you're going!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  5. Kristin James

Kristin James Banned

The reason I take issue with their comment, is because I'm 20, a lot of my friends are between 20-22, including my boyfriend... most of them have mortgages, and all come from a similar/less privileged background than myself! Yet a 15 yr olds personal experiences override what I know and have experienced personally on there, so I just gave up trying to get an honest critique! :( Thanks! I've seen lots of different people here, and lots of people writing different genres, it's awesome! (Sorry if this sounds a little brash, by the way, their comments had me riled up. They went so far as to say "I don't care you're explaining how she managed it, it's not something that can happen, ever"... to which I even got my boyfriend to reassure me that I hadn't gone mad, and that it was a feasible storyline)

Thanks for your comments about my novels, too. I'm pleased that I've come this far, from where I was not even a year ago (I've done more adult-ing in the last 7 months than in the last 20 years!)! I will definitely watch where I'm headed, thanks for the advice!

ReproveTheCurlew likes this.
  6. ReproveTheCurlew

Yeah, critique can be harsh, esp. if you don't agree with it, and it's everyone's right to defend one's own work. Good thing you have a supportive BF. Personally I'm of the 'as long as the explanation works, the premise works'-type. Anyhow, enough spamming in your welcome thread, so just another brief 'welcome' from me :p

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Curious as to what you mean by erotica to-your -liking, as I am finding the genre to be a bit chaotic. There's snuggly kisses all the way to fetish, and I still can't figure out what to call mine, even after 225kw. :meh: