1. WaitingCynicism

WaitingCynicism New Member

Hello There

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WaitingCynicism, Jul 7, 2019.

Hi all,

I'm a new writer who has mostly done rpg related stuff before now. I'm primarily a fantasy writer though I want to break out into other generes as well. Looking forward to chatting with you all.

AndieBoDandy likes this.
  2. RobinLC

RobinLC Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

WaitingCynicism likes this.
  3. WaitingCynicism

WaitingCynicism New Member

Thanks!

4. AndieBoDandy

AndieBoDandy Active Member

RPG as in video games, or Dungeons and Dragons?

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hello! I'm one of the Moderators here, and want to extend a personal welcome to you.

I think you'll discover, as you get to know the forum better, that there are LOTS and LOTS of writers here who take their inspiration from RPG stories. These writers also want to re-create the excitement of role playing games in novel (or short story) form. There will be certain hurdles you'll encounter doing this, but they'll be easier to vault if you are also an avid reader of novels and short stories. If you're already a reader, you'll recognise that novels and short stories are a very different medium. What looks obvious in a game must be re-created using only words. Excitement and/or intrigue must be written into the stories, via characters' thoughts and feelings, and not just assumed via dialogue and description of what happens and what happens next. Immersion is desirable, of course, but it takes a different route from games.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll make lots of connections here that will be fun and helpful.

For starters, if you haven't already done so, please read this section. It will get you off on the right foot. New Member Quick Start There are a few requirements you must meet before you can post your work on the forum for feedback, and this Quick Start guide should help keep you right.

You might start by exploring the Workshop section, in the categories you particularly enjoy. That's where full members post their work for evaluation and critique, and that's where you'll discover people who write the kinds of things you'd like to write yourself. By all means give them critiques ...telling them what you like /don't like about their offering, and tell them WHY ...and you'll establish contact with them, and we'll get to know you better. If you're not sure how to do critiques, here's a good link for that: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

Anyway, take your time getting to know us and finding your way around. Explore all the tabs at the top of the page. (Lots hidden under the hood here.) Don't be afraid to enter existing threads and make comments on them. Join the discussions wherever you want, and have fun.

If you encounter any problems, please feel free to 'start a conversation' with me (just click my owl avatar and follow the link) and let me know how I can help.

Cheers, Jan

6. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

RPG?

[​IMG]

Well... We all have our dark secrets.