Tags:
  1. Cogent

Cogent Member

Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cogent, Jul 2, 2020.

Hello everyone, I think it's only polite that I introduce myself before begging you lovely folk for advice!

My name's Phil and I'm an amateur writer from the south west of England - I'm a tech analyst by day and a huge nerd by night. I signed up to your forum to try and rekindle the inspiration to finish my in-progress fantasy novel, and to try and broaden my horizons a little bit.

The novel in question has been completed, submitted, rejected, rejected, partial interest and rewritten, and rejected... and on and on! As such I've taken it upon myself to do a complete re-write and I'm struggling to see beyond the mile-high peak of words that lay before me and I'd be really interested in hearing how everyone here keeps that fire alive!

I'd love to speak to anyone no matter what genre is your thing, and I look forward to speaking to you.

Thanks!

*Oh, and if you're interested in this sort of thing, I'm a qualified baritone/bass opera and musical theater singer/performer!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Steve Rivers and Larro like this.
  2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superhello:Hi.

Best of luck with your WIP, and c-ya around the forum. :supersmile:

Steve Rivers and Cogent like this.
  3. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

I can't remember where I heard it, probably Brandon Sanderson, since, after watching his lectures, I have more author anecdotes than I know what to do with... but anyway...
    SOME professional author I once heard said they had a fellow professional author that would write their book out in its entirety and then use that as nothing more than a basis to completely re-write the book from. Then they worked on that second re-write as the object to refine and mold into the final product. So you're not alone in starting over with the book already written. If anything, I can imagine a lot of advantages to doing it.

Myself, I have a huge mountain ahead of me (so much so, I called my progress journal "Chipping Away at the Mountain.") So I completely get where you're coming from with kindling the fire. I try and keep it going by sticking to a routine of working on certain days, no matter what. (I ask myself "What do i want? Answer - to write this book! Then hop to it, Mister!") Giving myself breaks at set stages, treating myself when I hit milestones or come up with an especially good idea (Pavlovian training works wonders for me, hungry dog that i am :) ). Oh, and I find that listening to music that is apt for the scene you're about to write really helps motivate you/sets the tone before you do it (at least it helps me :) )

I also find working with someone else doing the same thing helps, but that is more likely down to the individual. I alpha edit/proof-read the book of my friend, and she gives a basic edit/proof-read of mine. We keep each others enthusiasm up and help each other with ideas, catch each other's continuity errors, and we're eager to send the other our work when we get parts of it completed.

So hopefully something in all that might give an idea for helping to keep the fire burning. :)

Isn't that just a nerd by day and nerd by night? Hehe. No judgement here, we're ALL nerds on this forum.
    Nerd/Geek and proud!

Welcome to the forums, Cogent!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Some Guy likes this.
  4. Cogent

Cogent Member

Thank you both! Steve Rivers, I have to say you've given me a real shot in the arm; I felt so disheartened to more-or-less abandon my first work to start again but knowing I'm not alone doesn't make me feel so much of a schmuck. I wish that I had a "real life" friend in the same boat to mutually support. :meh:
    haha! I suppose nerd comes in different flavours, and as for your flag I am currently running D&D 5th edition games three times a week, and I am always looking for more players!

I really look forward to seeing what wisdom I can glean, and give out!

5. BearOfTheNorth

BearOfTheNorth Member

Hi Cogent, welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your novel but don't give up on it and you'll get there. I wish you all the best for it. :)

I really hope that I get to have a sneak peek at it in this forum sometime. I'm a geek by night too, love RP, board games, video games, anime and reading. How about you?

It's great to have you here! :D

Steve Rivers likes this.