Tags:
  1. Justhew2490

Justhew2490 New Member

Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Justhew2490, Jul 9, 2020.

Hi everyone, I have just joined and thought I would introduce myself. I was introduced to this forum by a friend when I told her I was thinking about writing a novel. I am at the wrong end of my 40's, studying for a degree in History, part-time, whilst working and running a family. I have always enjoyed writing and the thought of writing a novel has been something I've toyed with since I was a boy. I have come to realise that only thinking about it won't actually get it written! So I'm hoping to get a lot of inspiration and a lot of tips from all you lovely people in the know. As well as reading a lot of your contributions. As a fan of historical fiction, that will most likely be the genre I will write...just got to get on with it :)

2. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

Hey Justhew, taking that first step beyond thinking about it is a step in the right direction. So good on you.

Had any ideas about what era of history / setting yet? I tend to gravitate towards roman era stuff and high seas adventures when i read historical fiction, so I'm interested to hear where your interest lies.

Welcome to the forums, by the way! :)

Justhew2490 likes this.
  3. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi @Justhew2490, and welcome from me!

Sounds like you already have your work cut out, but there's always room for a bit more historical fiction, and I wish you well!

dbesim and Justhew2490 like this.
  4. Justhew2490

Justhew2490 New Member

Hi Steve, thank you for the welcome! I too have an interest in classical Rome, but I think overall my favourite period is early modern, 1500 to roughly 1789 depending on which historian you ask. It was a time of great change and discovery and full of characters you just couldn't make up! Henry VIII anyone? I'm particularly interested in the Reformation and I think a fictional tale involving the complexities of Catholics and Protestants may be interesting. Maybe during the reign of Mary Tudor...

Steve Rivers likes this.
  5. Justhew2490

Justhew2490 New Member

Thanks Hammer...planning is definitely key!

6. Kyle Phoenix

Kyle Phoenix Active Member

Welcome to the forums. I hope you have a great time here. :)