1. And such

And such New Member

Currently Reading::
    Fellowship of the Ring

Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by And such, Sep 2, 2021.

Hi everyone,

What a great site to discover! At such an opportune time as I've never been so motivated to write. I'm a 27 y/o female and I write fantasy. I've never managed to finish a novel draft, but recently I've written 40,000 words in three weeks - so here's hoping.

I write main characters that inspire me to live a better life. I once read something like; 'envisage your best self, and then show up as them'. I try to create main characters that inspire me to be a better person, whether that's getting fitter, being more forgiving, or doing more for others. Does anyone else like to write characters that end up inspiring you in your daily life?

Cheers :)

2. Fenris07

Fenris07 Member

Welcome to the group! I really like your idea of creating characters that you can aspire to be. That's a cool idea and something I've never thought of before. Great job on writing 40k words in 3 weeks, I'd say motivated to write is an understatement lol. What is your current story about?

sarkalark likes this.
  3. And such

And such New Member

Fellowship of the Ring
    Thank you! Great username by the way, Fenris is my favourite Dragon Age character!

My story has the classic fantasy war background, with magic, demons and necromancy. The main character is unwittingly fighting for the evil (although of course it's not that simple) side, who's religion is based on a form of super corrupt Norse mythology. Her family has been captured for their healing abilities, so her goal is to learn the brutal art of 'shadow magic' so she can infiltrate and get them back. She spends the story realising the full extent of how evil her country is (under the wrong leadership) and how the south, who they're fighting against, is actually probably on the 'right' side. She needs to choose between leaving to get her family back or staying to stop an unnecessary war. So yeah, trying to work on actually finishing a story for once! There's an end in sight for the first time.

What's your writing jam?

jannert likes this.
  4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I usually do as well. Mine often live in a rather harsh world where many people take an easier and more self-centered way out, blaming others etc. But most of my MCs take the harder road, trying to do the right things. Maybe not right at first though.

That sometimes involves seeing through people's false fronts to what they really are (as painful as it can be when those people were considered friends) or needing to supply some much-needed tough love that somebody doesn't want to hear but needs to.

sarkalark likes this.
  5. And such

And such New Member

Fellowship of the Ring
    That's such an interesting concept! Love it, I need to introduce some of that to my characters.

6. Fenris07

Fenris07 Member

Wow, your story sounds pretty awesome! I like the stakes in her realizing she's on the wrong side and having to try and save her family or stop the evil of her own country from spreading. Corrupt Norse mythology sounds interesting as well (hence my username Fenris/Fenrir, although Dragon Age is a great game). Is the country a Theocracy and run by the religious leaders or are they just influencing the government leaders? I hear you on trying to finish a story for once. I have so many stories started but never finished, start out strong but then trail off lol. Novels are tough and i don't have a lot of time that i can write so I've started working on short stories so I can actually complete them. That's exciting that you're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for your story! Congrats, so few get that far and actually complete such a huge undertaking! If you want you can post a snippet of it on here. It always helps motivate me when others are interested in what I'm doing.

I've written sci fi, horror(ish), fantasy and alternate history shorts and attempts at longer stories. I'm kind of all over the place lol. My interests tend to go through phases so my writing changes as I get pulled into different ideas.

7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi and welcome to the forum. Great that you're hard at work on a story just now, and the story sounds like you have set up a very compelling plot, where there will be danger in being found out by the bad side, as well as danger inherent in attempting to learn and use this brutal magic. (Love that phrase ...very intriguing.) Sounds like you're not making things easy for your character, which is EXCELLENT from a story point of view. You also sound enthusiastic about your story, which bodes well for getting it finished. How are you approaching this story? Are you writing in First Person, or some other point of view?