1. Indigestion

Indigestion New Member

Hi there, everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Indigestion, Jun 5, 2009.

Hi,
    I'm Jose, from Spain, 14 years old.

I began writing at the age of 10, by pen, and I liked it pretty much. However, I never got to write something with considerable extension since it would have never been published. I liked how my imagination made words flow out of my mind, sometimes expressing exactly how I felt, and on other cases it didn't, when my speaking and writing skill wasn't good enough as to express myself correctly.

English, as you may or may have not noticed, isn't my first language. I began studying it at a bilingual school at the age of 7, as I started playing the piano at the conservatorium. Therefore, I can admit that I'm over the average of English speaking in my country, where most people's skill is very low, but I'm not even as good as a native speaker.

As to the music, about what I like to write as well as about fantasy, I've been 7 years playing the piano and nearly 2 playing the electric guitar. If you ever need some music for a story, just drop me an e-mail or something! I've recently started studying harmony at the conservatorium, and so I may be able of helping you!

Well, just that I like writing about fantasy and realistic genres (ie. ones that are very similar to the real life, but are not exact, so that "strange" things may happen), and I like writing by pen rather than computer, since the ideas seem to flow better. However, I do understand that writing by computer is much faster (I've written all of this in 3 mins or so), but I havn't got time to think about what I am going to write.

Well, I'll see you around, and you can check my website, where I will post both my programs (I like programming in Java) and my short stories!

See you around!!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Jose, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Indigestion

Indigestion New Member

I will check those forums, and will review other's work. Indeed, it will take time for me to write something, and so it'll be better if I learn before posting!

Thanks for the fast response, I will enjoy my stay!

4. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

You sound like a very cool person, Jose.
    I have lots of spanish speaking friends and have been *cough* studying the language for three years now. I'm learning the guitar this summer, and I used to play piano with my italian piano teacher (I cannot anymore, so eh...don't ask ;).)

If you ever need help with a difficult bit of english feel free to PM me or message me on MSN messenger (I see you have the little icon to the right.)

Have fun on Writing Forums. Everyone here is very helpful; I've made lots of improvements in my own writing in only a week or two!

5. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Hi and welcome to the site! Hope to see you around :-D

~Lynn