1. KurtistheTurtle

KurtistheTurtle New Member

Free Oatmeal

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KurtistheTurtle, Jun 24, 2009.

No, I'm lying. Oatmeal is gross.

But on the bright side, I just joined. What's up all you crazy bastards? I look forward to reading some of your peoples' stuff.

I decided I'd write a story this summer. I just railed out a page before I even realized what I was talking about (no outline no brainstorming nothing) and I wanted some feedback so some quick google-fu brought me here. I glanced at the rules, looks like its time for me to review some stuff.

Experience in the way of creative writing isn't a part of my reality yet but I hope it soon will be.

Pleasure to meet you all

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Kurtis, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Oatmeal? Gross? You must be eating the instant crap. Try some good steel-cut oats instead!

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

That's nonsense, Cog! The insta-oatmeal is awesome, you just have to put enough sugar and cinnamon in it until you can't taste anything else. :D

Hey KurtistheTurtle, I'm Greg the Hedgehog. I hope you pleasant times on the Writing Forums, and I hope you enjoy your path to literary enlightenment? !

So. How do you do, sir!

4. KurtistheTurtle

Do you bite your thumb at me, sir? Why I'll squirt mustard on your face

en guarde!

5. KurtistheTurtle

Whats up

I joined this site a loooong time ago. I don't remember doing it but this login still worked.

Nice to make your acquaintances again

6. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

Well, welcome back then. :)

7. KurtistheTurtle

haha, here it is! I forgot I wrote this!

i got so excited I choked on my apple juice and now I'm coughing. holla

8. Meliha

Meliha New Member

Welcome! How did you ever forget this place? tsk tsk tsk

I'm so new here I'm still lost - if you ever need to ask for directions; pass along the answers here, thanks a bunch in advance :)

9. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.

10. KurtistheTurtle

oh hey. I'm back again -- hopefully more mature and concise than my previous escapades here.

also, congrats to the packers

11. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Welcome back. :p

12. ArtWander

ArtWander New Member

Welcome to the forum :)

13. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

:( I only came to say hi to claim my free oatmeal. You've made me very sad. Very sad indeed. :(

Well... hello, I guess...

14. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

What about oatmeal cookies? :(

15. KurtistheTurtle

oatmeal is gross and oatmeal cookies smell like poop

16. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

:eek:You're eating the wrong cookies then.

17. KurtistheTurtle

hello melzar.

By avoiding cookies that smell like poop, I'm eating the right cookies. don't try to convince me otherwise!

18. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

You are making me unbelievably sad. :p *sniff* Also, I'm craving real good home-cooked oatmeal cookies like my mum makes. :D