1. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I have noticed (as everyone else has, I'm sure) that different people write different kinds of stories. The demographics here interest me.

I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of young women on this site who write fantasy stories about teenage girls or young women. This is understandable, of course, but it makes me curious about all of us. Who are we, and who do we write about, and in what context?

I'm a gay man in his late forties who writes (mostly) about men - not usually gay men, but men - in science fiction or alternate-history scenarios. That's who I am and that's my major field.

So, who are you and what do you write?

2. WastelandSurvivor

WastelandSurvivor New Member

I am a straight male in his twenties and I usually write either fantasy or horror with female MC's or small groups of MC's, and the demographic is generally high school and college aged young adults. I did just finish a short story of just over 3,000 words in the horror genre that I will NOT be posting on here simply because it is geared towards adults and is far too dark to post somewhere that younger adults and children are browsing.

Annette, Sharond and DeadCatSeeker like this.
  3. Rousel

Rousel New Member

25 year old man from US, loves Sci Fi- writes Sci Fi and hates Sci Fi Fantasy. I am an investigator for a large company. i have a dog and a building credit card debt. =)

sarkalark likes this.
  4. DeviouSquirrel

DeviouSquirrel Member

I'm a 21 year old female from Glasgow, just graduated with a BEng (Hons) in Civil Engineering with Architecture, which I hated. I wish I'd gone to Uni to do something English/Writing or Art based, but I can't change that. Now looking for a job that has nothing to do with my degree... *grumbles*

I mostly always write a female MC, because it's easier for me, but I'll quite often have stories which change perspective, and a lot of the time supporting MCs are male. So I can write from a male perspective, but I prefer female. Their ages usually vary from 17 to around 25, and I keep trying my hand at a fair few genres, Fantasy and Horror being the ones I've had most practise with, (because they're the genres I prefer to read.) I've also done some SF and Romance, and dabbled in Erotica too. I think my main "focus" in writing is psychological based horror elements, and how people change with respect to their experiences and upbringing. I like to put my MC through hell, and see how they handle it.

Leah

Det Del Dragons and sarkalark like this.
  5. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

I am who I am, and I mainly write fantasy because I like to play god. With few exceptions, my characters are always adults. No matter what genres I write, romance is always involved because I fancy myself a bit of a romantic.

6. Mister Cheech

Mister Cheech New Member

I'm a nineteen year old male. I write film reviews, very short essays, diary entries and comic short stories. Honestly, it doesn't matter what I write. I just want to keep writing until I'm good at it, then I'll concentrate on specifically what I'd like to achieve.

Annette and twelvegoats like this.
  7. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Young hetero woman, journalist, Libertarian, student, soon-to-be law student, writes dystopia ('cause I don't like government) and horror ('cause building all that suspense is fun) but recently finished a kids' horror novel for the 8-12 age group. I like hard rock and adrenaline and independence. I have a fat gray cat, a fondness for swimming and a tendency to be addicted to this site. My favorite horror author is Bentley Little.

Det Del Dragons and Sharond like this.
  8. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I am married to a decent bloke and have three kids and content enough with that - I home educate and hoping to raise chickens and vegatables alongside them once the weather improves. I'm in my mid thirties.

For short stories I write a variety of genres and characters.

For novels I tend to write first person present tense and fantasy from a male POV for some reason. First one is a seventeen year old boy. The others have been a gay male between 30-150. I am writing a novel about him and his partner as children third person. I also have a general fiction third person about and author and an actor - somehow my MC has managed to wangle his way in there lol

9. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I live in the US and just turned 30. I mainly write fantasy because as much as there is to enjoy about the real world, I do find it really boring at times.

Shayne and Viola_Pario like this.
  10. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

I'm a young man living in US, but in one month I'm going back to Buenos Aires.
    I write horror, mystery, thriller, and fantasy (although most of the time you can group 3 or maybe all 4 of these into 1). I study Graphic Design (Photoshop).

Annette likes this.
  11. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

19 year old male, I'd say that my main writing intrests lie in Sci-fi, Horror and some erotic lituriture... I'll be the first to admit that. XD
    I love looking to the future for things, looking into the sky at night and simply letting my mind wander. I'm artacted to the dark, the ruins of various building, they simply inspire the element of horror in me, but its there were I feel most at home ^^ I suppose I'm just... Well... I am what I am.
    My erotic lituriture is written simply for enjoyment, so to speak XD, letting my mind wander.

Annette likes this.
  12. ellebell16

ellebell16 New Member

I'm a 16 year old girl in New England. I have always written fantasy and realistic fiction, but now, I've been getting into sci fi. I don't plan on getting anything published until I'm older, because I wouldn't stand a chance now. :)

13. TricksterDizzy

TricksterDizzy New Member

21 year old gal who writes fantasy, poetry, and fiction (fiction being used for all my stuff that doesn't quite fit the fantasy genre, but usually has some mythological elements in it). My stuff varies on audience depending on what I write. As for my characters - I write mostly middle school to adult in age, I guess. Mostly girls, but I have some guy MCs.

Oofchicken likes this.
  14. TokyoVigilante

TokyoVigilante New Member

19 year old male from Canada. Currently work in a Call Centre and have a passion for interrupting you during your meal times. Presently saving my pennies to move to the City and get a college education concerning film-making; something I've wanted to do since I was six.

My favorite subject is primarily Science Fiction/Speculative Fiction in all of its forms, particularly the extinct forms of Sci-fi; The Prehistoric and Planetary Romances and Hollow Earth stories in particular. Of course this grows into an interest in Steampunk as well.

I also have a fascination with Cold War-era Pop Culture, vintage sailing stories, sea monsters, giant monsters, Survivalist movements, post-apocalyptic/pre-apocalyptic and dystopia settings, and stories of Individuals in world changing events (Accounts of infantry during the 1st World War, Soviet Missile Defense operators in the Cold War, etc.)

Presently, I've been trying to figure out whether to begin some prose writing or start honing my screen writing abilities. Also, feel guilty about not posting anything here yet.

Also, comic books. And Godzilla movies.

Oofchicken likes this.
  15. jardpole

jardpole New Member

I am 32 years old, male, from Greece, unemployed :) - no, i hate being without a job when i don't have one and when i have one usually i hate my job.
    I finished my studies in European Culture - useless - and i spare my time between a theater which i was working the last two years, learning french, reading, writing and surfing on the net. I prefer to write horror and more generally stories where the Absurd turns over the things

Oofchicken likes this.
  16. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Im a girl in my 30's writing romance and/or suspence-novels. I have been writing through my entire teenages, then gave it up for reasons that i dont even remember anymore just to take it up this summer and finding it so much more fun when i started to write with a serious approach and started studying writing techniques and so on. I dont think i will give it up this time :)

Oofchicken likes this.
  17. JoshMac

JoshMac New Member

I'm a 16 year old male in Colorado. I don't have one specific type of writing, but rather whatever comes to mind at the moment. I'm still in high school, but concurrently enrolled in the local college, studying to be an English teacher. I listen to my metal and hard rock too loud, and have come to terms with the fact that I'll probably be deaf before I'm 20.

Yurii likes this.
  18. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I am a 20 year old girl from Norway. I've been writing regularly since I was 6, and was making up stories long before that :p I am an animal lover, and apparently own a zoo according to my parents. I currently work in a Second-Hand shop, but I'll start studying this fall, probably English and Literature, though I have no idea what to use it for...
    I blame my older brother, who let me watch anything I wanted with him, for my morbid sense of humor and slightly twisted mind (the idiot let me watch The Shining, It and similar films when I was only 5-6 years old...)

I dabble in many genres, but monster horror (werewolves, vampires, swamp creatures, etc) has a special place in my heart. I am a hater of traditional love stories. They have all been done to death, but I still write a lot of romance. Just put my own twisted little spin on it (but a lot of it is also quite sweet in my opinion).

19. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

first of all, not all writers write fiction [i.e., 'stories'], or only fiction... so if you only want to hear from fiction writers, please excuse me for butting in...

i'm a 72 year old mom of 7, granny of 19 [at last count] who used to write fiction [mainstream, semi-sci-fi, x-rated, humor, action/adventure] and non-fiction [bio/auto-bio books, humor/general interest columns, articles, etc.] in my 'old life' and only writes philosophical essays and what i call 'philosetry' now...

you can see what i write now on my website... among the essays is one short story, 'top dogs and bottom feeders' and in 'other works' you'll find bits of novels that'll never be completed and same for an auto-bio...

Fontainiac likes this.
  20. The Sealed Knot

The Sealed Knot New Member

I'm a 26 year old straight male, who graduated in history and therefore I try to write historical novels.

Sharond and Shayne like this.
  21. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

I'm a 40 year old small business owner (nothing to do with writing) who writes Fantasy. The main characters in my current WIP are two sixteen year old girls and an aging warrior.

Sharond and Yurii like this.
  22. MsLee123

MsLee123 New Member

I'm 22. I'm an RN and I write YA fiction, 16+ generally.

23. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

I'm a straight man in my twenties and I write whatever belches forth from the abyss.

Justin 4, w. bogart, Annette and 4 others like this.
  24. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

I'm 16 years old and a junior in high school. I live in the U.S., specifically the Washington, D.C. region. I'm an involved actor and musician, and I write mostly dark psychological stuff.

Sharond and Yurii like this.
  25. Fiona

Fiona New Member

I'm 28 years old, happily married and I write horror novels and short stories.