1. Jasond

Jasond New Member

Need help starting a book.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jasond, Sep 12, 2012.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get my idea for a book down on paper but due to a lack of time I think I may need to hire a ghost writer in the future, please can someone explain the process of hiring a ghost writer?

Also what should I be writing down in the mean time, should I be writing character descriptions, what happens in each chapter and that good stuff?

Thank you,

J.

p.s im new to the whole writing a books scene so if im completely wrong about something please let me know :)

2. Wolfwig

Wolfwig New Member

I suggest you forget the ghost writer idea and find or make the time to get your project started on your own. I had story ideas in my head for years and never wrote them down until I just had to give in to the haunting pressure. Starting several years ago with roughly 90 minutes of writing time per week (midday Sunday), I completed a series of short stories in about two years. Since then I have carved out even more time for writing, because I really love the process. Eventually, if you can write two pages (600-700 words) per day and give it part of two days a week, you could have a 300 page novel first-drafted in less than two years.

3. FirstTimeNovelist91

FirstTimeNovelist91 New Member

I second Wolfwig's suggestion. Really, it doesn't even have to be an enormous amount of time. Twenty minutes here and there can really add up.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

hiring a competent professional ghostwriter to write the book for you will be extremely costly and it will almost surely be money you will never recoup from the sale of the book... plus, no matter how well it's written, there's still no guarantee that your book will be accepted for publication...

fees for a good ghostwriter run from mid to high-5-figures... even at the heavily discounted fees i offer, since i don't have to do it for a living, it still runs from the high 4 to low 5...

you'd be much better off writing and editing/polishing it yourself... if you do that and hire an editor to go over it, that will still cost you in the thousands, for a good one...

5. luna claire

luna claire Member

Ditto here to above comments. Try to find spare time, no matter how short a span. Not only does your story progress that way, but I also believe that just the act writing helps to hone the craft. Good luck!:)

6. MazMaric

MazMaric New Member

Agree with the above really. It is about making time, but making time so that it does not feel like a chore, or make you feel pressured into writing somethign in that time frame.

I started a novel last year, only now is it finished with 77,000 words. Maybe 45 minutes a night, two/three nights a week. Unless I really have an urge and happen to have time available in the day.