Help: ask me anything!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Woof, Oct 8, 2015.

1. nhope

nhope Member Reviewer

"Hello Kate, my name is Moonbeam and I can twirl the stars around. What can you do?"
    =====
    scene: Kate walking down a path in the forest. A crab apple falls on her head. Rubbing her head, she looks up.
    "Oh dear, dear, dear, I'm so very sorry. It's just that sometimes I can't control where they fall, with these gangling limbs and all."

How does Kate react to the talking tree?
    =====
    scene: Kate is walking along the docks when she spies something glinting off to the side. Apprehensively approaching, she peers over and discovers it's a key, a very old style long key with a round mirror on one end.

What does Kate do?
    =====

To me, to get to know your character, you have to first imagine her walking or running somewhere, that you do not know. Then, let her find/see/stumble over/get smacked with something and see how she reacts. *This* is how she reveals herself to you. Questions give answers to what you think she may or should say as a character, but to discover who Kate is, you have to think of her as living.

Mckk and Woof like this.
  2. Woof

Woof Senior Member

It's weird when you can't see someone's face, but I bet they're nice to have in winter. Some of the boys at the docks like to talk about when they'll have them. Some of them say they've got them, but I can't see it. What I do know is the fishermen have them but the rich men in the hotels don't, and neither do George or the other men who work there.

I think I'd take Ki with me. She can fish and cook and she's nice to me.

3. Woof

Woof Senior Member

I can do my numbers, some reading. I can run fast, I can swim, and I can be small. I can be the queen some day.
    --
    That's okay. Er, can you drop a few more? I'm quite hungry!
    --
    *Kate takes the key, puts it in her pocket and walks off. It is beautiful, and clearly important, but she had no idea what to do with it. It would never occur to her that it wasn't for her though!*
    --

***I've not had time to take her out for a full whirl, but I know what you mean. It's a good idea!***

4. Woof

Woof Senior Member

Thanks everyone! I've got a few nights away now to edit/revise and this will really help. Ill print it off and keep it with me. :write:

5. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

Hi Kate.

Do you have any possessions? If so, what are your favourite things?

Woof likes this.
  6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I didn't read the question to this answer - and out of context, this was sooo surreal! Read like a riddle :D

Woof likes this.
  7. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

here is a list of questions from the Open University free online writing course. (More like a sampling of a course, but it's free :) ). Some of these you have answered already.

Woof likes this.
  8. Woof

Woof Senior Member

I didn't see that... love it. :supergrin:

Thanks. I'm offline now for a week, barring my phone and any reception it can get... so offline, basically. I'll take that with me though. I did that same course in the beta stage, I think. With Future Learn? Didn't finish it, but maybe I should have! :superlaugh:

Mckk likes this.
  9. Theoneandonly99

Theoneandonly99 Member

May I ask what is your favorite ice cream flavor, Kate?