1. Kerilum

Kerilum Active Member

What Would Be Your MC's Dream Home? (And Environment)

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Kerilum, Oct 1, 2016.

My MC's main home would most likely be a single-floor log home, placed somewhere within a pine forest. He wouldn't want his home to be many miles away from another house, but he loathes homes that are connected or so near one another. They don't offer his key aspects of feeling at home; privacy and the thought of being alone.
    It would specifically have to be a pine forest because it's the only thing he knows, besides an living on an island. He could never live on an island again.

My MC wouldn't want a 'fancy' home, just a regular log cabin. He's in a pre Indust.-Revolution time.

Now write yours below!

2. Goldenclover179

Goldenclover179 Banned

Probably an elegant apartment, with windows taller than the empire state and more rooms than the White House, somewhere around New York, San Francisco. Anywhere up north, anywhere that costs money to live. Anywhere he's never been. Towering and costly, a home that would be the complete opposite of the poverty he's known since the day he was born and the poverty he'll know until the day he dies.

3. nataku

nataku Member

Well Max one of my MC's of my current story would be satisfied with a roof over his head that doesn't leak and a flat surface to sleep on. Growing up on the street he learned to appreciate the simple things in life. Give him a corner of your bedroom and he'd be happy. When you spend your life wondering where and when your next meal will be you can't exactly be picky.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Pretty sure Marckus would not mind moving to a respectful suburb in Kokkonis Poli in the Melas Chasma on Mars. Seems
    to be the place to be when you kick Terra's ass in war. Probably a penthouse condo overlooking the city. Keep things simple
    and orderly, while retaining that sense of community. Not too sure how well Marckus would take to civilian life after spending
    the majority of his in the service, but I am sure the Martian Colonials could find something for him to do.

Corlixia would most likely be with Marckus. So she couldn't care less where or what, as long as she has her body close to Marckus's.
    To be fair they understand each other in a way that no one else really can. Mutual respect among monsters if you will. They have
    a strange bond, as well as saving the others ass. There will be no children unless they adopt since she has no reproductive organs.
    And she too might have a bit of a tough time falling into civilian life on account as she too is in the service, and before that
    a sadistic interrogator. But with that hyper intelligence of hers she will figure out something to do.

Graxis wants to have a cottage out in a meadow, and start a life and a family. Maybe even become a farmer if he feels so inclined.
    As things are looking at the moment he is about halfway there. Once he gets back to Centuria, and finds a good fixer upper out side
    of the city. He will more than likely take Dlynvacko as his mate for life. And they will raise a little Terran girl Samantha that they rescued
    from a Harvest center during the war, after adopting her of course. Though she is attached emotionally to Dylnvacko and she will be
    there daughter, they will probably have a child of their own as well.

5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Have you read Robinson's Mars Trilogy? Nothing like a set of rooms on the 5km crater cliff-face of Pavonis Mons.

5km down that is, 47km across. That's a lot of penthouse views...

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Jeebus, I don't know why my system always double posts. I only hit the "post" button once, it takes an inordinate amount of time to post, and then doubles.

So I'll use this space to answer the question. My MC has had both his legs and one of his arms blown off by an IED, and is currently host to an alien bodysnatcher. As a result, he's imprisoned in a black site/hospital at an unknown location somewhere near D.C., in a hospital bed surrounded by a Faraday cage in a large-ish open room lit by fluorescent lights. He'd be happy to live pretty much anywhere where he had some freedom, and as soon as he and his alien can get their grubby little mitts on the right body and keep it, they're going to do just that.

Good question, it's triggered some more chains of thought for me.

Cave Troll likes this.
  7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Melas Chasma 11km down, 400km across, and 200km wide. Oh and it is filled with a massive city.
    Canyon living baby! :p

@Iain Aschendale No I have not read Robinson's Mars Trilogy. Sounds interesting.
    Curse you sir, curse you. Now I have to acquire such reading materials.
    Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  8. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

The MC to what i`m working on now (Yugsluv) is a warrior of a nomadic tribe any house would be nice for him. He`d like something small simple, as nomads, they don`t like to gather to many useless things so he has little clutter. He`s used to an environment full of dangerous things, and beasts that make him their prey so someplace peaceful, where he can just sit and rest. He gets rather tired of his fellow tribesmen for the most part, so someplace set away where he can be alone and meditate.

9. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

This is the strangest question I've ever seen about writing. What does it matter if it's not part of the story?

10. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I think it's one of those threads that's not necessarily for a story but for fun. I suppose. I don't know. These types of things strike me as a bit silly, too, but I'm not one to pass judgement. Haha.

deadrats likes this.
  11. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Meh I procrastinate lurk on this fourm a lot, saw it and thought meh it`s a fun little questoin. Questoins like this are probelly meant to help you get into you`r charaters head a little which isn`t a bad thing. I actully recall there being another thread for questoins like this, around here somewhere.

Cave Troll likes this.
  12. Kerilum

Kerilum Active Member

Ok. Questions like this are designed to make you delve into your character. The answer resembles the aspects of your main character; what it takes for he/she to feel at home, or comfortable. Your answer is based off of knowing the past of your MC. Just a question, no harm.

Simpson17866 and Cave Troll like this.
  13. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Basically:

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

Where an American would ask "What's my motivation," a Brit would say instead "Let the wig do most of the work."

So your character would live in a wigwam shaped TARDIS and fixing the past is the motivation. :)

15. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

My fourteen year old mc Finlay has just earned a bundle from acting in a tv show. His suburban house has burnt to the ground and I'm toying with the notion of a
    tree fort in the directors backyard.

Cave Troll likes this.
  16. Safety Turtle

Safety Turtle Senior Member

My MC already had his dream home and environment: with his wife and daughter.
    Then it was taken away from him and I don't think anything could really measure up to that.

Though a bad in a relatively safe place would probably do.

17. Kara Gatsby

Kara Gatsby Member

This is something two of my MCs are struggling with and responding to in very different ways.

One hates the idea that she should settle down and call a single place her home. She wants to travel; instead of calling one place her home, she wants the whole world to be her home.

The other has lived much of his life on the backlot of a movie studio--basically 120+ acres of these enormous outdoor sets built to resemble places all over the world. It's like he's been everywhere in the world without having been anywhere at all. Now, as the backlot is being sold off to developers, he doesn't feel like he'll ever be satisfied with anything as mundane as an apartment or a house.

So, TL;DR -- they have no freaking idea.

[​IMG]

Simpson17866 and Cave Troll like this.
  18. Spencer1990

Bringin' heat.:whistle:

19. Kara Gatsby

Kara Gatsby Member

Damn! I meant to bring a casserole.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  20. Spencer1990

Tuna or no deal.

21. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

My protags are both architects. After they get married and save up the money, they'll probably buy a well-proportioned house in a historic urban neighborhood. But their dream would be to design and build their own place. It would probably be Modern, but comfortable, and would include a studio/office for them to practice out of so my FMC can continue to be an active partner in the firm once the kids start coming.

22. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Blade and Keri live in a sandbagged bunker but spend much of their lives east of the wall with psychotic clans men and mercenaries trying to kill them , so really anywhere without incoming rounds would be great

Cave Troll likes this.
  23. IlaridaArch

IlaridaArch Active Member

Kar Heradin would enjoy a three-decker house close to the Matilda Square in a city of Bogidien. View to the port is a must, and bakery within a small walk is the most obvious need.

24. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Marco: Doesn't care. He's been in a prison for the last decade or so. He just wants open spaces.
    Orman: White wainscoting, jewel-tone upper walls. Crown moulding, not too overdone. Not into open floor-plan. Likes cosy rooms instead.
    Tevin: The hammock onboard his ship. A house is an encumbrance. Something that needs repair and attention. He'd rather be at sea.
    Brenn: Doesn't have a clue. He's used to refinement and decor, but these also represent restriction and the yoke for him.

25. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Alec: I was in prison from 15 to 22. It's fun to think about a million-dollar McMansion, but I'm still getting used to the outside world and right now I'm still more comfortable in a cheap hotel or motel, maybe a studio apartment if I'm feeling real fancy. Plus it needs to be a real neighborly building: friendly people, amenities like breakfast and swimming for us to enjoy together. I got friends to spend the day with, but I'd lose my mind having to go home every night someplace I never see other people.

I mean don't get me wrong, hot chick invites me to spend the night at her house, I ain't going to say no, but I'd probably find myself staying in one room at a time instead of going back and forth a lot.

Charlie: It has to have a bedroom, a garage, and a bathroom.

Amy: After spending most of my teenage years on the street, I'd be OK anywhere with a roof, but I would love a two-to-three thousand square foot, single-family detached that I can decorate with replicas of my favorite Futurist works: Dynamism of a Dog on a Leash in the master bath, some of the sharper and more colorful paintings everywhere else like Street Light, Materia, Simultaneous Visions, Elasticity, The Laugh, Dynamism of a Cycle Player... I would want it to be in a good neighborhood with a lot of community events, and I would want to be allowed on the board so I can be involved in planning everything.

Though I'd also want to keep a smaller place more out of the way for my Richmond Ripper projects. More than anything, I'd want a good sized shower so I don't make a mess.

Jason: I'd want a small condo, good sized kitchen and dining room for entertaining guests, but that's about it. I don't need a lot of space for myself.

I'm also never renting an apartment if I can possibly avoid it, it doesn't make any fiscal sense whatsoever. At least, not unless the apartment is smaller than even I tend to like. Otherwise, the monthly payments tend to be about the same for both, and you can't sell the apartment after you leave.