1. shamrock838

shamrock838 New Member

Which Bibliographic Style - APS, MLA, or Chicago?

Discussion in 'Research' started by shamrock838, Sep 28, 2009.

Which Bibliographic Style – APS, MLA, or Chicago?:

As a writer/photographer in private practice, I specialize in nonfiction for adult and younger readers in both the U.S. and overseas (English-speaking) markets.

I cover popularized science (mostly earth sciences), environmental, maritime, geographical, historical, biographical and safety themes … plus general essays and human interest.

Regarding bibliographies, should I adhere to the APA, MLA, or Chicago style?

Thanks.

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

They all have their advantages. When I started college, I was told that one of the reasons we were supposed to use APA because the second thing you put is the year it was published, so the reader can quickly see up-to-date the information is, which matters when you're doing scientific research. I haven't use the others is such a long time, so I couldn't tell what the advantages of those are. Anyway, unless your publisher has a preference (or if someone else comes on here with a more informed opinion than mine) I would say that you should go with what you are most comfortable with.

3. Sound of Silence

Sound of Silence New Member

You could always ask the particular magazine/journal you're writing for, hun. If they like a particular way, they won't bite your head off for you asking. I'm English so I can't say too much on American codes of practice, but certainly approaching an editor when you're ready to submit won't lead you too wrong either.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the MLA is meant for 'scholarly' writing... so, if you're writing magazine articles, i would think the chicago would apply best, since it's aimed at journalism...

as for APS, there is no such thing, as far as i can tell... if you meant the APA, then that is for "Writing and Publishing in the Social and Behavioral Sciences" and is not really relevant to your work, it would seem...

5. shamrock838

shamrock838 New Member

Chicago it is.

BTW ... APS was supposed to be APA but it's irrelevant now.

Thanks.