Tags:
  1. tombrown

tombrown New Member

Help for fast and efficient writing

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by tombrown, Sep 25, 2018.

I'm a blogger and also a freelancer. My whole day goes into writing on various topics. My laptop is not good at all as it heats up and sometimes hangs. Being writers yourself can you suggest some good options, including the one you are using for your work.

2. kriti

kriti New Member

Hey Buddy, please note this forum is not for hardware suggestions and stuff like that. But since you have put up the question I'll love to answer. I'm using Dell XPS 13 for my work. It is a great laptop with a good processor, moderate RAM capacity and ample storage space. I would advise you to buy a laptop with i5 processor, dedicated graphics not required, backlit keyboard and minimum 8GB RAM. Might be helpful.

https://theconsumerbasket.com/best-laptop-for-writers/

3. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

If you don't need to travel, I think a good ole Desktop Tower configuration works well. They're inexpensive, have plenty of room to dissipate heat, and can be upgraded with new tech relatively cheaply and easily. Plus, you can have as large a screen as your budget and eyes require! I have a laptop for when I travel. I also have a Lenovo Android Tablet and a matching keyboard that acts as a cover for the screen, I'm finding while it isn't as fast and responsive as a Windows laptop, it is extremely adequate when used in conjunction with Google Docs or the online MS Office suite. I use Microsoft's OneDrive for online storage.

For software, I'm using Atomic Scribbler for fiction, and MS Word for everything else. I use ACDSee Ultimate 2018 for managing my photos.

4. Ioshka

Ioshka New Member

I do all my translation work (about 5K words a day) using an iPad Mini 4 running Notebooks 8. Most of the actual editing operations are snappier on this 8" handheld flatscreen than what's normal on a sit-on-your-butt computer.
    Paragraph deletion 1 touch (also consecutive action)
    Word deletion 1 touch (also consecutive action)
    Cancel to period, comma, question mark 1 touch
    Cancel to other punctuation marks / symbols 2 touches (also consecutive action)
    Cancel from anywhere in a paragraph to the end of the self-same 1 touch
    Cancel to any word "X" amount of touches but generally still faster than what's normal on most computers and can certainly run circles around any other editing app for the flatscreens (leaving you enough time for a pancake breakfast)

The secret is technique called Connective Editing... which breaks the "Microsoft Whammy"
    Microsoft taught the world how to write and edit on computers... flatscreens? Different form factor. Different form factor required different solution. Instead they gave us "mini handles"... embarrassing thingamabobs to drag.
    Learning curve: as easy as learning to use the old and glorious Nokia dumb phone
    Naturally I'm talking about txt... but with markdown so much the better.

In my case I translate screenplays... so I use Fountain markup...